extracting data from internal hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gibsoni, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Gibsoni macrumors newbie

Hi,

My macbook is dead, I will take it to be examined to find out the costs for repairs. But in the meantime I wondered if anyone has any experience in getting the data from the internal hard drive. Some time ago my external WD hard drive stopped being recognised and I replaced its external casing and that solved the problem. Is there something similar you can do with internal drives - ie buy a case/housing for it and connect it to another computer via USB? Can you retrieve iPhoto data and music files if the other computer was running on windows?

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

what do you mean by "dead", are you sure the hard drive isn't what failed?... Anyway, yes you can remove your hard drive and put it into an external enclosure. To retrieve the data you would need to download macdrive in windows to be able to see the files.

3. Gibsoni thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi riptideMBP,

Thanks for your response, by dead I mean that I spilled water on it and can't get it going again. I have taken it apart and dried it out but still no joy. I will take it into the apple store next week and visit with a 'genius' but I just want to weigh up my options before being quoted a price for the repairs if deemed possible.

Thanks again and regards