Extracting files off a Laptop HDD Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Clarabow, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Clarabow macrumors newbie

Hello people, yesterday I ironically split a glass of apple juice over my Powerbook G4, now it is in notebook heaven I needed to get my HDD out of it as I got important files on there (Uni essay!).

I've ordered a 2.5" USB enclosure so that is on its way, however, I only have a Win XP driven PC... when I try to look for the files I know that my PC will reject the drive and not understand it.

Does anyone know of any program that will help my PC read the files on the disk!? like a file explorer that cross reads to Mac OS X.

Any help welcome.

Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The program is called MacDrive. Possibly Fuse also lets you do this, but I'm not sure. (EDIT: Does not look like Fuse is anywhere near applicability on Windows).

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Outch! I know that MacDrive works. It's not the fastest thing ever, but it will save your essay.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Is your powerbook under warranty or Apple Care? If so, you can bring it to the Apple store and they can extract your essay and you can email it ot yourself.

Then when your case arrives you can do the whole HD yourself.

Or even better, if a friend of yours has a mac, try connecting the two via a firewire cable and booting your machine in target disk mode.

And extract your essay that way.

5. Clarabow thread starter macrumors newbie

naa, it's like 4 years old now, its under house insurance so not worried about the machine... I just need the essay.

I can't even boot it, I'll give MacDrive a go, I'll let you know how it went :)

6. Clarabow thread starter macrumors newbie

YES, thanks for the help peeps, I told you I would reply! :p

I got it to work and got my work back... now on to the insurance company!