Extracting graphics from iPhone applications/games

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kambozza, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kambozza macrumors newbie

Hello Gurus,

I had a question, I am not sure if this is possible or not, but I am sure you will advise me :)

If I have the .ipa files of a game or an application, is it possible to extract the graphics from them? So for example if I have a game, and I want to extract the graphics from the game and modify it or just view it, how do I go on about doing that?

I tried right clicking the ipa file and clicking "Show package contents", it showed me a lot of files, most of them are .png files which do not contain the core graphics used by the game, such as the characters and trees and birds,etc.

I found some pretty huge files but they are not image files (over 20MB). I am thinking those contain graphics but is it possible to see their content? They have a weird extension, like .asset and I can't figure out for the life of me what to do with them!

I appreciate your help guys, I am new to the Mac world and I'm loving it so far :)

Thanks!

2. headcheese macrumors regular

You can't view images vie the IPA file but you can SSH (or use iFile) into your phone (assuming you're jailbroken) and see everything that makes up the app.

3. kambozza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! Will try that right away.

4. headcheese macrumors regular

Let me know if you have a problem finding the filepath you're looking for and I'll help you find ;)