Extracting images from iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bigsnowdog, Apr 11, 2013.

1. bigsnowdog macrumors member

I asked a friend to send me a DVD with a bunch of vacation photos. He sent a DVD containing a folder named iPhoto library. It contains folders named database, masters, previews, and thumbnails.

I am pretty good with computer applications, or so I like to think, so I thought I could figure it out. It turns out he is entirely unable to explain how I can use these files. I happen to be on a Mac and do have iPhoto, I just never use it. I am unable to get iPhoto to engage with any of the stuff he sent.

I just wanted all the images in a folder, but he can't understand what that even means, and can't suggest how to accomplish it.

Any iPhoto users here who can offer some thoughts?

2. MCH-1138 macrumors 6502

MCH-1138

Hold down Option while starting iPhoto. When it asks you to select a library, navigate to and select the iPhoto folder on the DVD. That should allow you to open the library in iPhoto. Then you can export the photos to wherever you prefer.

3. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

How can I export everything at once?

4. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

5. MCH-1138, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

MCH-1138 macrumors 6502

MCH-1138

In case anyone with the same question dredges this thread up in the future...

1. Select the photos that you want to export (or select all).

2. File->Export.

3. Set your options (I would recommend using "Current" as the kind if you just want to export everything as-is).

4. Click on "Export", and then choose where to save the exported photos.