Extreme 2.4ghz and 5ghz - slow down

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tildesley, Oct 17, 2011.

1. tildesley, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

tildesley macrumors regular

Hi

I'm running an Extreme (3rd Gen) set up that has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz under to separate SSID's. I have both as I find the 5ghz version is quicker with my macbook. The 2.4ghz side is used by my iPhone and my PS3 when I use it, it started off great but now the 2.4ghz side but it is as slow as a snail while the 5ghz side is happy as can be, I've tried switching channels etc with no dice, I've hooked up an Airport Express I wasn't using in WDS and extend modes, again, still slow, when my macbook connects to the 2.4ghz side, it's the same also.

It's starting to annoy me now, any ideas? :confused:

JT

edit.. when I say 5ghz is faster, I find it's pulling 10MB/s over airdisk, which is faster than anything I've ever seen in 2.4ghz land

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm just curious how you get the two seperAte bands running. I'd love the ability to have that

3. mfram macrumors 65816

The 2.4 GHz side could be hit by interference. And the interference may not be from Wi-Fi. The 2.4 GHz band is quite cluttered with all kinds of crap from wireless phones to microwave ovens.

Assuming it isn't interference then the other issue could the 'least common denominator' syndrome. The 2.4 network will have to fall back to whatever standard the lowliest device can use. Let's say you started with 801.11n (the newest standard). And the original devices you had were all 'n', you're OK. But then you turn on a device that only does 'g'. The network has to fallback and go slower. Worse yet, if you put a device that only does the old 'b' standard, then the network will fallback to the really old, slow standard. Be careful what devices you put on your network.

4. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

matteusclement >it's dual band, so it can do both, quite handy (when it works)

mfram > thanks, I'll try moving it round to see if that makes a difference, I only live in a smallish flat so I suppose it's easy for the interference to build up

5. DragonRider macrumors newbie

here ya go.

http://tidbits.com/article/10125