Extreme Base Station config

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevfree, Dec 29, 2010.

1. kevfree macrumors newbie

I just picked up my MBA 11 inch last night and I am loving it so far. I had a config question since I am still relatively new to Mac. I have a Imac 21.5, MBA, Ipad, Playstation 3 and a Sony notebook connecting to an Airport Extreme base station. Every device except the PS3 is wireless N. Is there a way to configure the base station to run 5ghz wireless N only on my N devices and run 2.4ghz for the PS3?

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, just give your 5GHz band a unique SSID. I believe it's in the Wireless Options in the Wireless tab of AirPort Utility.

3. kevfree thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, is there a way to confirm that 5ghz is being used after this change is made?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Click the WiFi fan at the top right of your screen and the 5GHz SSID should be checked. If you're finding that it's still connecting to the 2.4GHz SSID, you may need to open Network Preferences, select AirPort and delete the 2.4GHz network from your list of networks.

Just a tip, make sure to differentiate between the two SSIDs, naming one something like "Network" and the other "Network (5GHz)."

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I have a new Time Capsule, and for the 5GHz channel, it adds the (5 GHZ) suffix to the SSID, by default if the 5GHz network is selected on the wireless options page of the Airport utility.