Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Hello everyone, Im new here and i have a little problem :/
I have a jailbroken iphone 5s with IOS 8.4! before the jailbreak i used to have 50-60% after a day of school. Now after the jailbreak i have 10-20% after a day of school. NO TWEAKS installed, just cydia! I dont know what could be causing this and ive tried to re-jailbreak 3 times and the sames results keep occurring. Ive ben testing the battery life in 1 week spans. so that means a week with stock IOS 8.4, then a week of jailbroken IOS 8.4. Every time i use the jailbroken IOS my phone uses sooooo much more battery. Everytime i use sock IOS i feel like im using a different phone because i have so much battery life. Some nights i also let my phone go all the way dead to make sure that the battery is actually empty and the battery % is working right(could be not calibrated after reset?). What could be causing this? and remember, i have absolutely no tweaks installed. NONE. I really wanna enjoy the awesome tweaks but before i wanna fix the battery issue! All the tweaks are no good if my phone is dead half the time!

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Jailbreak without any tweaks running in background....no way it can drain the battery....do a restore and setup as new..lets see what will happen....

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Jailbreak without any tweaks running in background....no way it can drain the battery....do a restore and setup as new..lets see what will happen....

alright, so you want me to restore the phone and then just treat it as a new phone and manually download all my apps and stuff rather than loading a backup. alright, i will try that and report back!

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Alright i just restored and then did not rejailbreak. i redownloaded all my apps and stuff from my phone last night. so not the backup. i am now going back to the backup to see how that works. someone on another forum also said to delete this one source called"Hackyouriphone" i did not realize i still had this because as i said, i didnt touch cydia at all after the restore. the battery usage was still very bad. on my way home from school mu phone was using like 1% per minute while i was listening to music and using facebook. i feel like this is way too much for a stock iphone and only having 2 light apps open... Please help

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Check your battery usage. JB is not the cause but something else.

My 6+ did suffer from battery problem after JB, and eventually I found that (by checking battery usage) the root cause is a 3rd party keyboard app (from Apple appstore). And I install that right after the JB, so it looks like JB cause the problem.

Reactions: Applejuiced

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Check your battery usage. JB is not the cause but something else.

My 6+ did suffer from battery problem after JB, and eventually I found that (by checking battery usage) the root cause is a 3rd party keyboard app (from Apple appstore). And I install that right after the JB, so it looks like JB cause the problem.

alright, i used to have an emoji app, but now i only use the basic emoji keyboard from apple. do you think that that could be causing the prolem, because ive had this ever since it came out. my phone still uses about 1% per minute while using just facebook.... thats now unjailbroken and i just dont know what to do :(

if you could tell me, how long can you browse facebook till your phone uses 1%... just so i know whats normal and what i can base my tests off. or maybe i am over exaggerating this whole thing...

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
BTW. please stay with me here, other forums have already closed my tweaks because they dont belive my story. please help me, i want to understand

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For diagnosis, can you:

1) Charge the iPhone to 100%.

2) Restart the phone when it still connected to the battery.

3) Double check the battery still at 100%.

4) Disconnect it and use facebook for about 10min.

5) Make a screen capture of the battery usage?

In you case, we should see something about 90% battery remaining, or at least drop to 95% in just 10min time. Of course, if you can do this test for 1 hour, that will be even better. Which can give a more accurate date on the battery usage page.

And from that page, we can try to find out what is the battery killer on your phone.

N.B. If the phone become hot when you using it. STOP the test, and better to contact Apple, just in case you have a malfunction battery which is not safe to use.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
alright, i used to have an emoji app, but now i only use the basic emoji keyboard from apple. do you think that that could be causing the prolem, because ive had this ever since it came out. my phone still uses about 1% per minute while using just facebook.... thats now unjailbroken and i just dont know what to do :(

if you could tell me, how long can you browse facebook till your phone uses 1%... just so i know whats normal and what i can base my tests off. or maybe i am over exaggerating this whole thing...

FB is NOTORIOUS for eating battery. And if you're listening to music that is on your device and not using any other app, turn on Airplane Mode to reduce battery drain. That's what I do when I'm just listening to music stored on my phone or playing games.

Another trick - don't use the FB app. Use FB in the browser of your choice instead.

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
FB is NOTORIOUS for eating battery. And if you're listening to music that is on your device and not using any other app, turn on Airplane Mode to reduce battery drain. That's what I do when I'm just listening to music stored on my phone or playing games.

Another trick - don't use the FB app. Use FB in the browser of your choice instead.

Yea, I guess that would be a thing I could do. But I want the full potential of my phone. I wanna get notifications and use all the features the phone was meant to have...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yea, I guess that would be a thing I could do. But I want the full potential of my phone. I wanna get notifications and use all the features the phone was meant to have...
Well, I'd like to have the same gas economy I get from my Honda on the highway at 70mph while doing 120mph with the lights on in broad daylight, the A/C blasting, the rear defrost on, radio blaring and my windshield wipers going crazy while driving through Death Valley in August.

But the laws of physics (not to mention law enforcement) is going to prevent that.

Reactions: Applejuiced

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
For diagnosis, can you:

1) Charge the iPhone to 100%.

2) Restart the phone when it still connected to the battery.

3) Double check the battery still at 100%.

4) Disconnect it and use facebook for about 10min.

5) Make a screen capture of the battery usage?

In you case, we should see something about 90% battery remaining, or at least drop to 95% in just 10min time. Of course, if you can do this test for 1 hour, that will be even better. Which can give a more accurate date on the battery usage page.

And from that page, we can try to find out what is the battery killer on your phone.

N.B. If the phone become hot when you using it. STOP the test, and better to contact Apple, just in case you have a malfunction battery which is not safe to use.

Alright I will do that. I will then upload the screenshot to imagr, and show you guys. If my battery gets hot I will go to the nearest Apple store And have them look at it! Thank you so much for your guys' support!!!

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Well, I'd like to have the same gas economy I get from my Honda on the highway at 70mph while doing 120mph with the lights on in broad daylight, the A/C blasting, the rear defrost on, radio blaring and my windshield wipers going crazy while driving through Death Valley in August.

But the laws of physics (not to mention law enforcement) is going to prevent that.

Yeah I understand you can't have a perfect phone with awesome battery life and awesome tweaks. But right now I have no tweaks I just get worse battery life. It's like you get 30 mpg in your Honda, then you install a new radio and all the sudden you get 20. So it's like you lose mpg for something that shouldn't be taking so many mpg. I guess you can't really compare an iPhone and a car but I still don't understand why I'm getting such horrible battery life :/

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If it's happening stock then it's not the jailbreak. At some point you may have to concede that it actually could be a hardware issue.

I've got over 50+ tweaks installed AND the Facebook app and I don't have any battery issues. But it's a new iPhone and it's a 6+. However, I was still getting decent battery life jailbroken on iOS 6.1 on my old iPhone 5 this time last year and I probably had more tweaks installed then. And I also had the FB app. To go one more, that battery this time last year was also dying - swelling and pushing up on my screen. I had to have the entire phone replaced.

The replacement is on 8.3 and jailbroken as well and battery life since last year has been just fine.

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Alright I will do that. I will then upload the screenshot to imagr, and show you guys. If my battery gets hot I will go to the nearest Apple store And have them look at it! Thank you so much for your guys' support!!!

this test might not work, because for some odd reason the 100% stays very long. then once it goes down to 99% the % just start dropping super fast...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Maybe you're too obsessed with that battery percent indicator.
Turn it off, use your phone as you normally would use it and after a few days of full charge at night and full use all day figure out if its adequate and post screenshots of your full days use.
Save those and if its still not good battery life bring it to Apple.
Not sure what else you're looking for.

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Maybe you're too obsessed with that battery percent indicator.
Turn it off, use your phone as you normally would use it and after a few days of full charge at night and full use all day figure out if its adequate and post screenshots of your full days use.
Save those and if its still not good battery life bring it to Apple.
Not sure what else you're looking for.

i think what im gonna do is restore the phone to make sure the jailbreak is gone and then go to the nearest apple store because someone further up said that i should contact apple if my phone gets hot. This is the case. my phone gets very hot, even when doing simple things like facebook... idk what happend to my phone but it all started happening after the jailbreak i did in 8.4. do you think this could have anything to do with it or just bad luck/coincidence

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
i think what im gonna do is restore the phone to make sure the jailbreak is gone and then go to the nearest apple store because someone further up said that i should contact apple if my phone gets hot. This is the case. my phone gets very hot, even when doing simple things like facebook... idk what happend to my phone but it all started happening after the jailbreak i did in 8.4. do you think this could have anything to do with it or just bad luck/coincidence

That's a good idea.
Restore it and bring it in to have it checked.
Nothing permanent can be caused by the JB, its just software modifications, nothing that can damage or permanent change the way the hardware works.

badeshka1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
That's a good idea.
Restore it and bring it in to have it checked.
Nothing permanent can be caused by the JB, its just software modifications, nothing that can damage or permanent change the way the hardware works.

yea i know, i just restored the phone and loaded a backup. i checked with TaiG and the TaiG doesnt say that the phone is jailbroken. so yea, i should be all set!

Thanks for the amazing help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.