Extreme does not support Airplay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mjd2k, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Mjd2k macrumors newbie

Hi, having some fun (?) setting up my new extreme. Went through many efforts to get my airplay speakers connected to my extreme (another thread). Finally have them connected (for now).

I keep reading that the Extreme does not support airplay but the Express does. What does that mean?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It means the AirPort Extreme doesn't support airplay but the AirPort Express does. The Extreme has no port for plugging in speakers, like the Express, and is not designed to support AirPlay.

3. twintin macrumors 6502

Basically if your audio receiver like your speakes has built in airplay, it can be used with any router to airplay music. A router with built in airplay like the express is only needed if your audio receiver does not have airplay built in.

4. Mjd2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you captain obvious! :)

So it sounds like the reason is that the express has speaker ports. Ok that makes sense.

However, just seem strange to me because I am running all my airplay speakers off the extreme and don't have an express. Not sure what more support I would get from the express other than hardwired speakers.

I moved my extreme to the main floor and hardwired my PCs into Ethernet.

Now, (at least so far), my airplay speakers are working great. No drops in the hour I've had them running.......and that's better than before.

I'm hoping my previous problem was because my PC was having trouble sending signals for three airplay speakers and apple TV back to my basement router and then the router sent the signal back out to the speakers and Atv... all on wifi.

5. Mjd2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I know what you mean. I use my apple tv to connect to my receiver.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no other way to answer such an obvious question than with the obvious answer that is found simply by reading the specs of both devices.
    Yep, exactly.
    It's not the AirPort Extreme that is providing the AirPlay function; it's your AirPlay-enabled speakers. The Extreme is simply providing a wireless network, and has no awareness that any of the data transferred on the network is AirPlay-related.
    That's exactly what you could use an AirPort Express for, to connect speakers that are not AirPort-enabled.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

the extreme (or pretty much any piece of networking gear) will pass the airplay data. It's just packets the same as your internet traffic.

the express actually has an audio out port, which is what it means by "supports airplay".