Extreme Overachievers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We all know the type. They have three jobs, they work 16-20 hours a day, they work on two doctorate degrees concurrently, or they have not taken a day off in years and run their restaurant by themselves. Or they can pick up loose change on the ground using only their butt cheeks.

1)

Well, last night I told my co-workers who teased me for using a car for transportation (they all do bicycles everywhere), that I knew somebody who was really into fitness. I mean crazy, insanely great Forrest Gump type running. :)

Besides being a junior college student and holding that school's all time distance running records, a law student, and working at a law firm, this kid runs 100-125 miles a week and told me his goal was to beat the Kenyans (and other top international runners) at a major marathon. I kind of thought he was kidding me.

So today, at California's Big Sur Marathon (#3 marathon in the US behind Boston and NYC), he (Daniel Tapia) won it all. And this Tuesday and Thursday he has finals as a second year law student. This guy must have killed the LSAT entry exams for law school since he's only a junior college student, too. You can do this in California if you are exceptionally gifted intellectually. But then to enter a world class marathon for the first time and win it? Some people do everything good.

He is now aiming for 2012 Olympic team and Adidas sponsorship. Where does he find the time?

2)

A young man I know, not particularly gifted at math or finance, turns down USC's storied MBA school and instead goes to an unknown MBA school from the California State System to the shock of everybody who knows him.

He thinks schools and their reputations are a lot of hot air. It's what you do with your MBA and that knowledge, right? MBA is about being an entrepreneur, or so the model goes for the best of the best of wannabe masters of the business universe.

Within 12 months of graduating, he starts a company and made $14 million dollars. Not bad, really. If that's not weird enough, he loses out to evil B. Gates and company and goes completely bust, then just picks himself right back up and becomes a millionaire again.

Share your stories of extraordinary overachievers.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't fall down today while chewing gum. Pretty sure it's my parents' proudest moment.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This isn't scientific or anything, but all the (perceived) overachievers I've met were always the middle child.

4. ethical macrumors 68000

I once ate 6 hotdogs in a minute.

ok I lied. It was only 4.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I am, indeed, a middle child.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

argh, im envious

i have so many business ideas but have no idea how to even start them

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

well if you're not an over achiever, that kind of blows my theory away doesn't it?

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I ate 5!

9. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

I have an older half sister and younger brother, does that make me middle child? I wouldn't say I'm an "over achiever", that's probably my younger brother who's currently in his 3rd year medical school. Although I probably have higher aspirations in that I have several business ideas I'd like to start. [see below]

As do I. I keep a list on my computer of all my venture ideas. Some of which are software related, some of which are not. I'm looking into using the patenting services at legalzoom but it seems a bit expensive--I guess that's the point.

10. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I think it all depends on what you deem "successful." Having my son is the best thing I've accomplished in my life. It outweighs my own MBA and any other achievements. I guess I'm simple like that.

11. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Considering that:

1 - All you had to do was impregnate your wife to "have" your son
    2 - You probably would have performed the act anyways
    3 - You weren't the one that was pregnant for 9 months
    4 - You didn't give birth

...you should probably pick something else. :D

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My best friend would probably fall into this category. She's always doing more more more, and always excelling at all of it. But knowing her as well I do, I know she couldn't function any other way. I don't view her as an overachiever, but more as someone who thrives on chaos; she's someone who needs to be busy in order to stay sane.

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

While this thread is nice and all, (no offense 63dot), I'm off to start an underachiever thread where I will not only feel more comfortable, but have numerouse real life personal experiences from which to choose for post contribution. ;)

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I admire overachievers. I don't think I have the sense of purpose required to simultaneously attend law school, work at a law firm, train for a marathon and then win it. He must have slept 4 hours a night. I often wonder what drives a person to do all these things. It's an achievement to get out of bed in the morning for me.

15. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I can burp the alphabet?

16. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

My best achievement thus far is practicing for IT(around 6 months). And then totally changing my mind and going for graphic design. Now the problem is I never had any drawing skills. So i practiced for two months non stop to do the exam and got in.

Best decision i ever maid :)

17. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I think he doesn't have a car, or I have never seen one. But still that wouldn't make the average person without a car decide to go out and win one of the country's largest marathons. :)

For most of us, ten miles is a bit of a hike to school or work or back home at night, but for runners in his class, it's just a warm up jog.

While not busy with the above schedule, he was running for his junior college team, too and I suppose breaking records, his own. I think he's definitely headed for the Olympics. It's like he is three people.

I wish him good luck on his final exam tomorrow night at law school. I have been in the same room with him during tests. Law school takes every bit of attention and focus, blocking out everything else, to be able to cram out three ultra concise one hour answers. I would be too amped up to be thinking anything law school knowing I just won a major marathon and beat out over 10,000 runners.

It would be akin to winning a large amount at lotto and deciding to play it cool and return to a retail job at the mall taking orders for bagels at the local, snotty teenage hangout. ;)

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have always joked that if I hit it big and get super rich, I am going to start a scholarship fund at my alma mater for underachievers. Instead of having a 3.0 or better GPA, people would have to maintain below a 3.0 GPA. Not that I'm bitter about underachieving and losing my scholarship, or anything. :) I'm proud of that 2.9GPA I had!

Speaking of overachieving: Check out this kid.

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I hope he's given the chance to grow up, go to the prom, date, do high school sports/clubs, etc. He's only 15. I don't have any issue with a 17 or 18 high school graduate going straight to the pros in sports as long as they finish high school.

What I find weird is when they pull a kid from high school (freshman or sophomore) or worse yet, from junior high school and thrust him/her into some high end college because they are smart.

I have seen this a few times and the poor kids got alienated rather quickly. Everybody went out of their way to help these kids, but socially it must be really hard on them. In both cases of the ultra bright I know of, these bright wonder kids ended up with pretty bad adulthoods. One lives with his mom in his 40s and the other is a video game shut in and never leaves the house. If this 15 year old is smart enough to enter Harvard today, I am sure Harvard will still be there in a few years, and also that the kid will still be smart then, too. ;)

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I actually knew a guy in college like that kid. He graduated high school at 16 and was majoring in chemistry/pre-med when I met him. He spoke 5 or so languages, played a mean violin, and was a decent computer geek. You know, the type that makes you really jealous. :) Anyway, he was actually fairly normal, but I always felt a bit sorry for him because of some of the reasons you mentioned. He actually turned out ok, since the last I heard he was a practicing M.D.

21. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

That's pretty good, then.

The first case of my friend, the 14 year old Ivy Leaguer, was so smart he kind of lacked social skills. It was so sad to see such a nice guy ease his brilliance and everyone else's expectations with alcohol. It's pretty sad and he lives at home and probably always will.

The other guy used his brilliance, especially with computers, to be able to earn enough buy an expensive house before he was able to drink, and just as he was coming out of is shell and then was able to mingle and go to college for a couple of years, he climbed right back in and hasn't been seen since. While he was remodeling his house, he had to be out and about a lot getting stuff for it. As soon as it was habitable and done to his liking, he closed the doors and never opened them up again for more than 10 years. He's the classic Brian Wilson type and even his closest friends I know of says he won't go out in public much if at all. We all miss him and I hope he reappears on the scene. He's also a great artist, to boot.

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I've tried working and going to school--Not worth my sanity.

I've tried running a business, dating 3 women at once, and working for someone else--Not worth my first heart attack.

I have 1 wife, 1 part time job, 3 step kids, and my art business--I am under enough stress. My advice? Don't overdo it.

Beyond that I've somehow managed to do more in ten years than most get a chance to do in a single lifetime but I'd gladly trade it in to slow the **** down

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Stop with the hyperbole. It was only 3, wasn't it.

Exactly. I can just imagine after sex, with his hands resting on his hips, smiling down at her and feeling victorious, all while wearing a red cape. :p

I could have done that if he couldn't. Heck, maybe I did. :eek:

24. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I made it out of undergrad with a 2.55 so I know all about underachievement.

Got into a top 10 business school and graduated with a 3.5!

Haven't run a marathon though.

I like the posts about business ideas and writing them down. I am doing the same thing and hope to start one in the future.

25. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Would that be 120 (five factorial) :eek: or just 5? the former would be so epic... :D

/end mathematician's interpretation