Extreme Printer Server

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tomleighmartin, May 24, 2012.

1. tomleighmartin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am in need of some help or advice regarding home networking.

I am trying to: use an Apple Airport Extreme G (the older version/ dome shape) as a printer server, connecting to my home wifi with a usb printer attached.

My setup:

A Motorola Centro Grande Router/ Modem N (Motorola Netopia 7647-47 VDSL Modem)

An Airport Express N unit - in a completely different room to the printer.

I thought that the Extreme would function just as the Express had, i.e. simply joining the existing wifi network. However, there is no facility to easily add the extreme to an existing network, although I am sure that there must be a way!

If anyone has any ideas etc. please let me know - I am stuck!:confused:

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

According to the specs it does wireless bridging: "2.AirPort Extreme can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network."

If you can't find an option to join the existing network at least try extending it, which should still permit wireless access to the attached printer.

3. tomleighmartin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I had already looked at that possibility.

On the extreme unit, I only have options to A) Create wireless network B) Participate in a WDS network. So, no go there.

If i get creative, and try and extend the network from my Express unit, in order somehow bridge to the extreme I just an error message. (I have a Motorola router i.e. non-apple)

I have read about roaming networks, bridging etc. but I just cannot find a combination that seems to fit.

Many thanks

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

And just to make sure - You did select the option in the Express' wireless settings to permit its connection to be extended?

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Is the Extreme in the same room as your modem? If so, you may be able to disable DHCP (turn off connection sharing) on the Extreme and connect it directly via Ethernet.

6. craigsharp macrumors regular

Wow... I'm currently thinking of doing the same thing, instead I have a cable modem connected to a linksys wireless N router... I am wanting to be able to have my printer in a closet with my 8 year old airport extreme UFO base station and have it be a print server... Please keep this post going if and when you discover how to do it!!!

7. tomleighmartin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am sure its not possible. From the little I have read its seems possible to extend but only if the Express was connected by ethernet.

8. tomleighmartin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Skorpien, unfortunately everything is in different rooms hence the reliance on wifi.