Extreme scroll lag in Preview on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibarrett94, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ibarrett94 macrumors member

I have the 15 inch base rMBP. Scrolling through a PDF in preview is near impossible. Using the discrete graphics card helps none, and when I switch the resolution to 2880x1800 there is a huge improvement which leads me to believe that the problem is not hardware related. Has anyone had a similar incidents? I am aware this was happening on safari but I didnt have issues like that ever. Any better PDF viewers out there on the free or cheap side that have better performance?

thanks,

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

Does this happen with all PDFs, or just some?

I've only seen chunky PDF behavior when they're unnecessarily dense in terms of resolution (i.e., when I accidentally save at 300+ PPI).

3. trombo22 macrumors member

From what I have experienced preview is one of the best pdf viewers in terms of performance. As mentioned before is it a high quality pdf? Also are you running 10.8.3 and new firmware updates? I never had much trouble with pdf before update but have had overall better graphics performance after update.

4. leman macrumors 604

Preview is very slow with a particular kind of PDF documents, especially ones with many elements/graphs. This is not exclusive to the rMBP (but you will feel the slowdown more painfully there, as more pixels must be drawn). The problem is the ancient codebase, they should rewrite the OS X PDF renderer using modern libraries.