Extreme Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Glideslope, May 16, 2016.

1. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Good Afternoon,

I have a question looking for opinions on. I currently have the 802.11n Extreme that does 2.4 and 5 GHz. It has been on Time Warner at 15mbps down for a very long time. It has 10 devices that connect in the home. Only one is 802.11a. They are all Apple Devices. Macs, iPhones, iPads, ATV, etc....

I am going to be upgrading to 50mbps down June 1st due to increasing lag. I will be using a new Motorola MB7420 Modem. I do not anticipate adding any devices that use 802.11a until the fall.

Would I see any benefit by purchasing a new 802.11a Extreme at the time of upgrade? Are there any benefits to the newer Extreme as far as utilizing the 16 down channels on the MB7420? Should I simply keep my older Extreme until Oct/Nov?

Thank you for your time.

2. pjfan macrumors regular

Do you have any low signal or dropped connections in your house, yard, or garage? If not, then you'll be fine.

IEEE 802.11ac offers great capability, but I doubt you'll see the realistic benefit unless you're currently having signal issues. So, I would upgrade TWC, see how it works... I suspect you'll see the benefit of better broadband, and later you can grab a newer or refurb extreme or time capsule when you upgrade your edge devices.

3. Glideslope thread starter Suspended

Glideslope

Thanks for the response. Just increasing lag. I'm going to wait and see if anything new arrives at WWDC for Airport.

Have a great day. :apple: