Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Currently have a 3801 gateway supplied by ATT Uverse. The wifi range is horrible. Wondering which (extreme vs. express) will provide more and stronger range once I hook it up and let it perform the router capabilities?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The extreme is your best bet...The AE is good as a range extender. Another alternative is a Time capsule used with an AE. That's how I deal with all my wifi needs. Almost all ISP supplied routers are C***. I have a net gear from VM, but disabled the wifi, then plugged it into my Time Capsule. I have an AE plugged into the wall socket in the bedroom...range - superb.

You could achieve the same thing with an extreme and will probably find you don't even need the boost of an AE (depending on the size of your home)

Last edited:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Also, is the current 5th gen extreme going to be getting a facelift anytime soon? Meaning, should I wait?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Also, is the current 5th gen extreme going to be getting a facelift anytime soon? Meaning, should I wait?

The new AC standard for wifi has yet to be ratified, but it's pretty close. When it is expect Apple to release a new AE with the faster wifi included...How long that will be? Anybody's guess but I reckon at least 6 months, probably a year.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
The Extreme has great range. I've got an Express hooked up in the garage, but only so that I can stream to my audio receiver while I'm working out there.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Think I'll pick up a Extreme and see how that works first. You can always return in 30 days. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.