Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portishead12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Hey all, been about 11 years since my last post here, but I'm back lol.

Long story short I'm debating between a 14" Macbook Pro M2 with 16gb RAM for $1750 or a 16" m1 Max with 32GB RAM for $2499 (before taxes).

I'm on the 16" m1 Max right now and i really love it when i'm working directly off the screen, but it's also quite cumbersome to lug around and if i want to lay back and prop it up on my lap (as i'm doing now) it is much harder to stabilize it and it just isn't quite as form-factor-friendly as the 14". i'm constantly worried about banging the back of the screen against stuff and i have to really make room for it when i want to put it down and it takes two hands.

at the same time, i find the screen, touchpad, and speakers to be soooo nice... to the point where, when i go back to a 14" at the store, it almost feels like a toy.

but i test piloted a 14" prior to the 16" and at the time it felt perfect so i think i've just gotten too accustomed to the larger screen. i have an external monitor i can plug into, so i wonder if having the large screen really matters all that much since whenever i want the larger screen real estate i could easily just dock the 14".

i think if the specs were exactly the same i might lean towards the 14", but having 32GB RAM versus 16gb is another big factor for me... i don't honestly do all that much that would require the power of this thing right now, but my concern is that long-term if i get into video editing again, it might be nice to have more ram.

SO... all this being said... just looking for some help on deciding which one to stick with. if anyone has any suggestions or input i'd greatly appreciate it!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Either use the 16" at the desk, or get a smaller Mac in addition to the 16", if using on the couch and other non-solid desk areas is a must. Your post indicates you should do the 16" and stop trying to use it in awkward places. That would save you money and heartache in the long run.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
You can still get a 14" M1 Pro 8-core 16GB/1TB from Adorama for 1599 if you don't need all the power from your M1 Max

portishead12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Either use the 16" at the desk, or get a smaller Mac in addition to the 16", if using on the couch and other non-solid desk areas is a must. Your post indicates you should do the 16" and stop trying to use it in awkward places. That would save you money and heartache in the long run.

Why heartache? You think I’ll drop it or damage it?

Honestly the main reason I got a MacBook to begin with was because I wanted something nice and portable for around the house. I get tired of browsing the web on my phone and wanted to be able to do all that on my sofa or in bed, plus I wanted to be able to use a keyboard and work on writing projects or do video stuff on the go. I understand some people might suggest an Air for basic editing and web browsing type use but I wanted the XDR screen and wanted “the best” option (relatively speaking). That said, I do think the M1 Max could be overkill for what I’m using it for currently.

I’m just worried I’ll go back to the 14” and regret it or have a hard time adjusting back to the smaller screen.

portishead12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
You can still get a 14" M1 Pro 8-core 16GB/1TB from Adorama for 1599 if you don't need all the power from your M1 Max
I have a Best Buy total tech membership so I get free apple care coverage which is why I’d rather buy from them, but thanks!

Maybe they would price match but I’ve already bought and returned 2 laptops (one macbook, one windows) in my quest to find a new computer, and I’m afraid I’ll get flagged if I do too many. As of now I have an unopened 14” m2 (bought it but haven’t opened it in case I decide to return it) and the M1 Max which I just keep wavering back and forth on.

The screen is gorgeous but it might be overkill for my needs. It’s just hard to test drive the best of the best and then go back to something smaller with lesser touchpad and speakers.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
The 14" MacBook Pro is the Goldilocks of MacBooks: Not too big, not too small, doesn't skimp on display or sound quality, and has ports! However the 16" MacBook Pro is the brawny boss of the lineup with even better speakers and better battery life.

You will adjust to the smaller 14" screen but the rest is a tough decision & very subjective too.

portishead12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
The 14" MacBook Pro is the Goldilocks of MacBooks: Not too big, not too small, doesn't skimp on display or sound quality, and has ports! However the 16" MacBook Pro is the brawny boss of the lineup with even better speakers and better battery life.

You will adjust to the smaller 14" screen but the rest is a tough decision & very subjective too.
Thanks.
If you were in my exact shoes and had the dilemma to choose between these two, at the price points I mentioned, which would you choose?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Re-reading your original post carefully, if I were in your shoes, I would return the 14" MacBook Pro & re-order the 14" Macbook Pro M2 Pro with 32GB RAM instead. Then I would either return or sell the 16" MacBook Pro.

Because the 14" is smaller & thus has a smaller battery than the 16", it doesn't make sense to get the 14" M2 Max for the 32GB of RAM unless time is money on the go.

You mentioned getting back into video editing, so it might behoove you to get at least 1TB of storage, although that doesn't seem as imperative as getting more RAM which you can't add later. This means you'll have to order it from Apple & not BestBuy as they don't sell that configuration.

Lastly, I would buy an external display, keyboard, and mouse, provided you have a desk to put it so you can work with it docked.

Again this is very subjective & I cannot be responsible for what you do! 😆

Reactions: portishead12

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Buy both.
Then you won't be "conflicted" any more.
When these first came a lot of people did just that. But then they created a problem for Apple with a large amount of returns that needed to go through the refurb process. Ultimately it’s a personal preference, the 16“ MBP is almost identical size and weigh as the older 2012 retina 15” MBP. While the 14” MBP is lighter with the smaller display, speakers, and cooling system. So it ends up being one of the toughest decisions that Apple has ever given us. The larger display effected me the most for 2 page work. Everyone will have a reason why it’s one over the other. ;)

portishead12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Re-reading your original post carefully, if I were in your shoes, I would return the 14" MacBook Pro & re-order the 14" Macbook Pro M2 Pro with 32GB RAM instead. Then I would either return or sell the 16" MacBook Pro.

Because the 14" is smaller & thus has a smaller battery than the 16", it doesn't make sense to get the 14" M2 Max for the 32GB of RAM unless time is money on the go.

You mentioned getting back into video editing, so it might behoove you to get at least 1TB of storage, although that doesn't seem as imperative as getting more RAM which you can't add later. This means you'll have to order it from Apple & not BestBuy as they don't sell that configuration.

Lastly, I would buy an external display, keyboard, and mouse, provided you have a desk to put it so you can work with it docked.

Again this is very subjective & I cannot be responsible for what you do! 😆
Thanks!

The cost is going to be considerably higher on the 32gb 14” (more than the $2499 I paid for the 16” M1 Max with 32gb) so that’s where I’m in a conundrum, because I do agree I’d feel more comfortable with higher RAM and it’s probably the main reason I’ve been hesitant to keep the base model 14” m2 over the 16” M1 Max.

Having said that I know the apple silicon os is extremely efficient and 16gb might be plenty for my needs currently, and if I run into issues 3-4 years down the line with memory it might be a good time to trade in and upgrade anyway.

This is the logical loop I’ve been in for the past month or so. 😂

portishead12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
When these first came a lot of people did just that. But then they created a problem for Apple with a large amount of returns that needed to go through the refurb process. Ultimately it’s a personal preference, the 16“ MBP is almost identical size and weigh as the older 2012 retina 15” MBP. While the 14” MBP is lighter with the smaller display, speakers, and cooling system. So it ends up being one of the toughest decisions that Apple has ever given us. The larger display effected me the most for 2 page work. Everyone will have a reason why it’s one over the other. ;)

So you have the 16”?

Honestly it’s not even the size of the laptop so much as the thickness and weight of it that I find cumbersome. Maybe the M1 Max is thicker than the standard M1 Pro 16” (I didn’t compare side by side) but its form factor reminds me of 2010 era laptops lol. I’m upgrading from a 2013 asus 16” and it’s comparable in build / thickness.

But man. That screen is just gorgeous. 😭

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.