Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I've been getting absolutely abysmal data using my 4S. It started about a week ago, going out here and there, but lately it's been being complexly unable for the web.

It'll show 5 bars "4G" but almost always gets a "Can't go to address" message. I'll stick it in Airplane Mode, and then undo it, and then it'll show one measly bar, and no 4G sticker. Then it'll get to a few bars and the whole process starts all over again.

Anyone experience similar problems. I'm in the Santa Barbara area if it helps.

Also, I've only used 200 MBs of Unlimited/3GB plan.

bjpad2

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Is this at one particular spot or anywhere in that city?

I've noticed the same problem when I am in different places. Some of the fastest data transfer I've gotten has been in small towns, but OTOH in other small towns I can have a strong signal but no data transfer. Just like when I travel and go to different hotels- some have good internet access but others don't. In the case of hotels I wonder if it is a problem with their equipment. Similarly in the case of the cell network I wonder if it is a problem with the equipment at individual cell towers.

I've also noticed that in some areas a cell network is not very responsive but it is obvious that the area has a big population and is very busy. For instance at my office building we are next to a large freeway with a high traffic volume and I can envision that most of the people driving by are using their cellphones.

Djflawless

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
You know...funny you say that, cuzz my internet as been acting kind of strange recently as well... Idk whats been up with them...i think you might need to get a new sim card, sometimes ive noticed in the past when my service gets kinda crappy, ill go get a new sim card and it goes back to normal...recently my facebook app has been running very slow...ill log in and out but still runs like crap...my safari sometimes will take forever to load...and my emails sometime dont even come in until like 2 hors later!...and recently i been getting this really akward sound when im on the phone like its static when im on a call...

Try a new sim card and i think you should be fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.