Extremely disappointed with clickykeyboards.com

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mavherzog, Aug 27, 2007.

1. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Just received my long-sought-after Model M space saver keyboard from clickykeyboards.com (~$130 + shipping) Website says they "carefully select, test, clean, and re-test all refurbished keyboards" before they make them available for sale. Apparently, mine did not get such treatment. Over half a dozen keys stick REALLY bad and several others simply will not register a key press. It's a disaster.

They DO have a 30 day return policy...however, I don't want to return it; I want it functional!

On the plus side, the keyboard LOOKS great cosmetically, so I am hoping I have some repair options available to me.

Has anyone here used Unicomp's keyboard repair service? $30 seems like a fair deal if they can truly make my new baby as good as new. (I'm in Iraq, so this is likely going to be a 3-4 week turnaround) :(

I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with both clickykeyboards.com and Unicomp. (One thing is for sure...I'm never giving clickykeyboards.com another dime)

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Dude,

Just return it and get a refund or replacement. :confused: it's that simple

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I know you didn't ask for a different recommendation, but...

Get a Das Keyboard. It has the old clicky keyboard feel, but better (I think). Fantastic keyboard. And it's not all cluttered up with unnecessary things like letters on the keys or anything.

4. mavherzog thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that is the logical thing to do. My issue is that I've been looking for a Model M spacesaver for a LONG time (they are quite rare). And, being in Iraq, it really sucks having something shipped all the way out here just to have it end up being defective. I don't use a numpad, so I prefer not to have one on my keyboard...hence my obsession with the Model M mini. I do have a Happy Hacking Professional at home that I absolutely love. I just don't want it shipped out here.

The Das Keyboard is a full-sized keyboard with numpad. I have a blank key Happy Hacking Pro keyboard at home that I really enjoy using. However, I think the Das Keyboard is a bit retarded. I understand having all the keys blank on my HHKB as they are all reachable from the home row (i.e. you can touch type every key and never have to look down...so no reason to have labels to look AT). However, with a full sized keyboard like the Das, that is not the case.

And, as far as clicky keyboards are concerned, why not go with the modern-day Model M from Unicomp? If I end up having to go with a full-sized board, I'm definitely ordering from them.

5. mavherzog thread starter macrumors 6502

I called up Unicomp and spoke with Jim Owens. I inquired about having them repair my Model M mini. He said that it would be prohibitively expensive and that I'd be better off purchasing a new keyboard from them. I explained to him that I have a 84-key Model M "space saver" and that I did not believe they had a comparable keyboard for sale. To my delight, he said, "We used to sell those. Give me 24 hours to see if I can dig one up out of our warehouse."

I got an email from him last night stating that he DID, indeed, find one and would be shipping it out to me in the morning ($59 + shippping). So, needless to say, I am sending the the old one back to clickykeyboards.com for a refund.

The folks at clickykeyboards are refunding my money to INCLUDE the initial shipping costs. So, I'm just out the $7 it cost me to send it back. (not BAD! I shouldn't have been so hard on them...I was just extremely disappointed.)

So, $125 for a used Model M mini from clickykeyboards compared to $59 for a NEW one from Unicomp.

I'll make sure and takes pics when I get it. I'm unsure if this is a Unicomp-branded keyboard that they made for a while or if it is unsold IBM or Lexmark stock...all I know is that it is a new keyboard and is, supposedly, 84-key, buckling-spring, and numpad-less. I'll keep you updated.

**UPDATE**
    It's here!