Extremely Dissatisfied With Booq

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 30, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Today, I received my Booq Taipan Slimcase M. It's a great looking case and it feels like it's made out of high-quality materials. I don't think that the notebook compartment was well-designed, though. It does have a soft material in the compartment, though the zippers only go as far as where your laptop would go in. The top part of the compartment can be turned inside-out so that the zipper teeth don't damage the laptop, though the zippers are a different story. Since it's such a tight fit, it's very hard to put the MacBook Pro into the case without scratching it, like what happened to mine.

Here's a picture of the laptop compartment from Booq's site:
    [​IMG]

It sort of looks like the zippers sit in the lining of the bag, but they're right on top, making it really hard to get the MacBook Pro in without damaging it. The dimensions of the case show that it's made for the new MacBook Pro, which is what I have, which fits a little tighter than the first-gen MacBook Pro in the picture. I'm pretty dissatisfied with the case and I'm extremely dissatisfied that my one week-old MacBook Pro is scratched because of the case...

2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Why don't you try to send them an email describeing the problem? I haven't had experience with their customer support but I bought a Booq Bag backpack a couple of years ago and have been very satisfied with the quality. They are pricey.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I did send them an email. I didn't specifically request a refund or anything, though, I want to see what they say first. They couldn't really do much, though, even though their case scratched my MacBook Pro. I doubt that they would offer to replace it, but I'm still pissed off at Booq.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Ouch. I have an Incase for my MB it fits perfectly and the interior design was very well done. Maybe considering one in the future? They had sizes for the current new MB and MBP models :).

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would indeed call this a design flaw. Even the cheapest STM sleeve didn't leave the zipper on the lip, it had a neoprene border of sorts and the zipper zipped around it.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Seems odd though. One would expect a drop in quality given that they are trying to expand their market range; but not a drop in logic...

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I agree with your concern. I would not use it.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

All they did was set up a RMA for just the case. Not the shipping either way. Seriously, the case was poorly designed, they should at least refund shipping, too, or give me something since the $80 case scratched my MacBook Pro.

9. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

How are the soft plastic teeth scratching your MBP???

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The metal zippers did since they rub against the MBP when it goes in, not the zipper teeth.

11. ARK macrumors 6502

Well now Im in a dilemma as that was the bag I was going to purchase for my mbp. Hmm :(

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

It sounds to me like you got a booq sized for pre-unibodies

13. CrownSeven macrumors member

Did you read their email response? They will refund your shipping charges once they have determined that your case is indeed defective.

So before you get your panties in a bunch - wait and see what they will do for you.

I've had nothing but a positive experience dealing with BOOQ customer service.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I conclude BOOQ is crap. Forget shipping, the case scratched his MBP. Will BOOQ refund that?

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It actually has the dimensions of the unibody MacBook Pro and the case came out after the new MacBook Pros were announced.

16. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Given the pic of that booq, it looks like the bottom of the metal zipper could be exposed to the laptop on the inside when the bag is closed.

17. Musicandaudio macrumors newbie

Case and/or sleeve for late '08 MacBook & MacBook Pro

I searched the Forums for best cases/sleeves for the new MacBook Pro. It seemed as though every brand had issues about proper fit. Finally, I found SFBag — Waterfield Design < http://www.sfbags.com/ >. Everything looks good on their website and they have an extensive list of testimonials. Still, I called just to make sure their sleeves actually fit the newest MacBook Pro. Wow, I immediately got someone on the phone who knew everything there was to know. The sleeve I wanted was in stock and is being shipped immediately. I thought I'd post this because I didn't see SFBag mentioned in any other posts. Sounds like a good resource. If I'm disappointed, I'll post again.

18. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Sorry to read your pain. Purchasd the Booq Mamba Sling, fits great and the bag is made very nice. Just have to see what time will tell as far as wear and tear with it but it has the padded bars on the side that seem to help the new unit out. The zipper on the Mamba seems to roll away once it's open and out of harms way. Tuff to tell what bags will work until you go to place your lappy in one.

19. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

By the way, I might be dissatisfied with the exposed zippers on the notebook compartment of the case, but that's really the only thing I'm dissatisfied with. From the amount of detail put into the rest of the case, it's very surprising that there would be a flaw like this. The straps are padded with a rougher material for better grip, the handle is very sturdy, the zippers feel strong and the case looks and feels very high quality. Try to find a better case for under $100 (and this is $80). I'm looking into getting another case from Booq, though so far I haven't been able to convince customer service to give me a discount on my next purchase from Booq (which they should because of the inconvenience of a design flaw with the Taipan Slimcase M.

20. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

wtf. prolly not.

but if scratches are that big of a deal, in the future you could try wearing lint free gloves, a static clean-room suit and carry the laptop in a 20x24 box filled with packing popcorn. i doubt it'd get scratched then.:p

21. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I used Booq sleeves three years ago and since then I've discovered much better products, namely Incase and Timbuk2.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My booq Vyper M2 is the best notebook sleeve I've ever seen. Extremely well made, very durable, great protection, zero problems. I'm an extremely satisfied booq customer!

23. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

ditto for the M2. i suspect the OP had a unibody and tried to stuff the thing in the M2 which ISN"T made for the unibodies, the M3 is, however.

24. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm complaining about a Taipan Slimcase M, which is a messenger bag style case for the new unibody MacBook Pro.

25. trekster macrumors member

And their less expensive. I have the classic messenger bag from timbuk2. I love it. I'm going to buy a larger size so I can fit in my MBP 17 once it comes in.