Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I have seen a lot of negativity posts on here recently about the 4th gen iPod touch, namely the "terrible" camera, light bleeding issues, overheating... etc.

Well, I'm pleased to say that I purchased my new 32GB iPod touch 4 from JB HiFi (an Australian tech retailer, http://jbhifi.com.au), along with a friend who bought an 8GB model, and am pleased to report I have had no issues with either of them. Both of them have serial numbers beginning with C3.

I am very happy with the Retina Display, personally I have compared the iPhone 4 in the local Apple Store to my new iPod and see no difference between the black levels or IPS.

The lower RAM hasn't been an issue for me, I have been able to play games, swap in and out of apps, etc. etc. at lightning speed - something I could never do on my 2nd gen, where I would have to wait up to 30 sec before going into another app because otherwise performance would be as slow as a snail. This is terrific, I have had almost all my apps open in multitasking without a slowdown.

I have only had an issue with it getting slightly warm while using the camera for an extended period of time (20+ minutes, continuously), but otherwise no issues with overheating.

Speaking of camera, while I would have liked it to have been the 2MP camera from the original iPhone, or even better the 3MP from the 3GS, the quality hasn't phased me too much. It's good in natural light, and it's useful for the memory of the subject. Don't even bother trying to zoom, though - it produces positively *awful* results.
Personally, I actually have a hunch that the camera is actually of higher quality than it appears to be - possibly 2MP - but Apple has decided to lower it so they can boast of the "magical" upgrade in iOS 5 next year. Don't quote me on it, it's just a hunch.

One problem that I have found is app compatibility. There are some apps that seem to have been updated for the Retina Display, however, when I download these updates, it appears that it's not recognising the iPod touch 4 as having a Retina Display, and shows a pixel-doubled view instead. However, other apps are fine.
The same goes for icons - they look terrific on the App Store, but I download it and get the 57x57 version instead of the 114x114 version (this goes hand-in-hand with "Retina Display compatible" apps being not Retina Display...)

Other than this, I am extremely pleased with the new iPod. The new speaker is also of a much, much higher quality than the 2nd gen's one, too, which is great.
All in all, I am extremely pleased with the upgrade.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Congrats on a defect free iPod Touch 4. Enjoy.

I love my(non-defect free) iPod.

I wish I could agree with your theory on the camera but I don't.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
I love mine. I think people expect too much out of a music player. I bought an ipod to listen to music. I bought a touch because it's better with video, and I travel a good bit. IMO, it's better at those two things than anything else out there. The rest is just a bonus. I can't wait to see what the complaints are about the music players in five years.

vonfirmath

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Lone Star State
I love mine. I think people expect too much out of a music player. I bought an ipod to listen to music. I bought a touch because it's better with video, and I travel a good bit. IMO, it's better at those two things than anything else out there. The rest is just a bonus. I can't wait to see what the complaints are about the music players in five years.

If all I wanted was a music player, I'd get the nano (and I would not spend $300). The ipod Touch is much more than just a music player

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I agree with you. The only thing that sucks is that I have light leaks but its not to big of a deal. The retina display is a huge improvement over the older one, the speaker is a lot better, and I love the fact that the back is flat. The back top part is usually warm when it is running a game or video but it doesn't really matter to me. Overall, I am fairly pleased with it.

cacophony555

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Personally, I actually have a hunch that the camera is actually of higher quality than it appears to be - possibly 2MP - but Apple has decided to lower it so they can boast of the "magical" upgrade in iOS 5 next year. Don't quote me on it, it's just a hunch.

No, it's an 720p video camera (1280 x 720 = .9 megapixel) that has been cropped (960 x 720) to provide still photos at the common 4:3 photograph aspect ratio.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
One problem that I have found is app compatibility. There are some apps that seem to have been updated for the Retina Display, however, when I download these updates, it appears that it's not recognising the iPod touch 4 as having a Retina Display, and shows a pixel-doubled view instead. However, other apps are fine.
The same goes for icons - they look terrific on the App Store, but I download it and get the 57x57 version instead of the 114x114 version (this goes hand-in-hand with "Retina Display compatible" apps being not Retina Display...)

Why is this ?
icon5.gif

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
If all I wanted was a music player, I'd get the nano (and I would not spend $300). The ipod Touch is much more than just a music player

Yep, it's a video player too. I've always spent $300 on my music players, so this is just one more on my list.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
nice ipod

i also got my ipod touch 4g 32GB as my first ios device. i wasnt sure if i wanted to buy the iphone 4 or ipod touch but since i have a good nokia with 1 year only i decided to go for the ipod touch and from 2 years now going for the iphone. I can say, this ipod is incredible. the only thing that's terrible is the camera for pictures. so i try to think to myself that the option for taking stills doesn't exist there :) other than that i compared it to an iphone 4 its basically the same. the screen doesn't have ips technology but's still incredible. i have it for 2 weeks and it hasnt had a single problem yet.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
the screen doesn't have ips technology but's still incredible. i have it for 2 weeks and it hasnt had a single problem yet.

If you ever owned an iphone, you'd realize the touch really isn't the same, its close, but still misses some things! Enjoy your device though, my wifey has always enjoyed hers and will continue once I pony up and get her the new version ! :)

st0ner

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
I have seen a lot of negativity posts on here recently about the 4th gen iPod touch, namely the "terrible" camera, light bleeding issues, overheating... etc.

Well, I'm pleased to say that I purchased my new 32GB iPod touch 4 from JB HiFi (an Australian tech retailer, http://jbhifi.com.au), along with a friend who bought an 8GB model, and am pleased to report I have had no issues with either of them. Both of them have serial numbers beginning with C3.

I am just wondering, did you buy the ipod touch in a JB HiFi store in Melbourne?

st0ner

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Just went to apple store sydney
got a replacement ipod touch, C3, slight light leaks and near perfect, very happy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.