Extremely High Wear_Leveling_Count Value On MacBook Pro SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shoehornhands, Jul 29, 2015.

1. shoehornhands macrumors regular

I installed smartmontools via homebrew to view detailed health info on a 512GB Samsung SSD in a 2014 MacBook Pro. Everything looked fine for the most part, but the Wear_Leveling_Count has a value of 12895125513. My understanding is that Wear_Leveling_Count is usually reported in percentage (0% to 100% indicating usage / remaining drive life) or P/E cycles in its raw form. In either case, this value seems astronomically high.

Does anybody know what's going on here? This is far from my area of expertise so I'm thinking I'm just misunderstanding / missing something.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where I should post this so hopefully somebody with some knowledge on the subject stumbles across this post.

Thanks

2. shoehornhands thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody have any ideas? The MacBook Pro is fairly new / the SSD only has ~1.5TB of writes to it, so it obviously isn't referring to a typical wear percentage or P/E cycle count. Is there something else this could be referring to? Is anybody aware of any bugs that could potentially cause this?

As I said, this is far from my area of expertise (i.e. it's quite difficult to find what I don't know I'm looking for) so any info / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

How much ram is on the 14 (sig has your 13 in. Air)? Less Ram you have the more you will turn to disk read/write.

What apps are you using? How intensive are they? They could be read/writing a lot.

What is your app turnaround time? I for example have been on a mission. I have been going through my Steam backlog. You know all those games sold for just a few dollars on massive sales you go ehh, its just a few dollars. Then a year or 2 later you have several games never even installed lol. So I DL a game, play it to completion or go I am just not digging this game too much, delete, on to next game in backlog. Long story short...I am read writing a lot with steam alone.

Does your homebrew app/recipe have a webpage? At least a github site saying what their code does and showing updates and how to use it and what stuff means. Most apps in homebrew do have a github page that I have used. For the ones I care a lot about I even forked to my github. Anything in its man pages post install?

4. shoehornhands thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. My MBP has 16GB of RAM and I use it primarily for web development. I've only had the MacBook Pro for a couple months (picked it up when they were on sale shortly after the update) and it only has 1.5TB of writes to it (assuming that's being reported correctly).

Smartmontools has an info site at https://www.smartmontools.org/ and the smartctl documentation is available at https://www.smartmontools.org/browser/trunk/smartmontools/smartctl.8.in

I'm running smartctl -a disk0 (which prints all SMART info). I couldn't find anything pertaining to the issue I'm having though.

The other thing that seems a bit odd is that Wear_Leveling_Count is listed with an ID of 173 (I believe it should be 177). This really isn't my area of expertise though so I'm not really sure what that means.

As a bit of a reference point, here is a thread on reddit where people are reporting their Wear_Leveling_Count values:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/31btmz/what_is_your_177_wear_leveling_count/

About halfway down the page there's a Samsung 512GB XP941 user (which I believe is the same SSD used in the 2014 MacBook Pro as model: APPLE SSD SM0512F) and he's reporting a Wear_Leveling_Count value of 197 (which is more inline with what I'd expect).

Anyway, as I mentioned, my knowledge regarding this stuff is pretty basic so I'm not really sure where to go from here.