Extremely hot i7 MBP! HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkuz, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jkuz macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I have a late 2010 i7 MBP and i have noticed recently it has been running extremely hot. I have been monitoring its heat levels around 180-200ºF while just watching Netflix/Hulu and surfing the internet. I even prop up my mbp with a DVD case and that doesn't help at all. Does anybody know if that is normal or if its running too hot?

Thanks in advance.

(Please note my temps are in FAHRENHEIT)

2. GGJstudios, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. simsaladimbamba

Also have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

for me that would be too hot. but you are running Flash which takes a lot of CPU power

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Dammit, GGJ. Beat me to it! :)

You really should just copy that post into TextEdit for easy and fast recall when this question gets asked the next hundred times. You know it will.

6. simsaladimbamba

Text Edit > Evernote >> TextExpander

7. jkuz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for all the help. I'm really sorry if this is a repeated question. I have never heard of mroogle before but I'll be sure to use it.
    I just wanted to make sure that my MBP wouldn't die because I don't have money to buy a new one.
    THANKS!

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's what a warranty is there for.

9. cake90036 macrumors regular

Well I dont have any helpful information but i can say something is wrong. I have a 2011 i7 15 inch 2.0 and have never had a heat issue(knocks on wood) while watching hulu, youtube etc. It remains relatively cool at all times. I would take it to the apple store as you probably have a problem or issue with the heatsink.

10. Kaidao macrumors newbie

Macs seem to generally run a lot hotter than PC's. On my 15" i5, my CPU temp would get up to around 70-75C when watching a 720p movie, and if gaming through bootcamp, I've seen it reach up to 90c which to me is ridiculously hot, even though I know it's still in the "safe zone".

Anyways, I got fed up with always worrying about the hot temps when gaming, so I bought a Cooler Master U2 (Search Amazon, I'm too lazy to link). This thing is incredible. It really makes a huge difference in your core temps. I tested it by playing a full length 720p movie, and my temps stayed around 60-65c, and while playing games, it usually hovers around 75-80C. My gaming experience has also gotten better due to the lower temps. If anyone's having trouble with the temps or just want your laptop to run cooler under heavy load, I highly recommend the Cooler Master U2 for 15", or the U3 for 17".

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Given Windows uses more system resources than OS X(hence lesser battery life on the same MBP), the issue is likely not software-based.

It'd be nice if there was a uniform standard when techs apply thermal grease at the factory, but until then, SMCFANCONTROL is a terrific app to help keep things running cooler.

Thx for the info on the Coolermaster U2 as well. I've a Targus cooler, but the Coolermaster looks better.