Extremely Hot Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noobsauce, Nov 27, 2010.

1. noobsauce macrumors member

After my white unibody macbook boots up, I can feel the temperature on the bottom increase to such unbearable levels to the point that I cannot keep it on my lap. The fans never spin at more than 2000rpm on their own (even when the CPU is at 70 C) forcing me to manually increase the speeds with istat menus, and only then do I hear them going at full blast. When I turn the setting back to "default", the temps start to climb back to 70 C again. This gets worse when I start watching youtube with google chrome, with the temps getting as high as 80 C and the fan still at 1500rpm. Could someone please give some suggestions to get the fans working automatically again?

Thanks in advance

2. noobsauce thread starter macrumors member

No Dice. Any other suggestions?

3. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Take it to the Genius bar if it's still under warranty. If you're persistent enough you will probably leave with a new computer. You could try a fresh install of OS X if you think there may be a software problem limiting the fan speed. If you are not under warranty, consider opening up the computer and checking out the fan/heatsink. Could be a little dusty in there. You may also find that the processor needs a fresh batch of thermal paste.

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

My fan only starts working when it it's like 90ºC it's lame but the apple repair service said it was normal:confused: Somebody could start hacking the macbook boot rom to make the fan spin faster sooner:p

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

That doesn't seem right. It should always be around 2000 RPM when the computer is on.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

7. nOw2 macrumors regular

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I wouldn't recommend continuously using the computer for long periods of time at high temperatures like 80 degrees or higher. Put it to Sleep for a bit and it should cool back down.

9. noobsauce thread starter macrumors member

I already do that, but I would like the system to do this automatically instead of having to keep the fans at full blast all the time/frequently have to change the speed

That's not going to cool down my macbook or lap.

10. nOw2 macrumors regular

You don't need to. It is working correctly.

That's a different problem.

Re: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778?viewlocale=en_US

remove it from your lap and place it on a stable surface

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

12. noobsauce thread starter macrumors member

13. nOw2 macrumors regular

So does it locks up? Graphical corruption? What symptoms are you seeing that makes you think it is overheating?

14. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

MacBooks are very warm little machines. I have one myself, and I had the same worry. The fans will indeed reach a point where they will turn on in order to insure safe operating of your computer. It may seem like it's getting very warm, but just let it be. My MacBook gets up to around 70 or 80 C before the fans kick in when I'm doing stuff too. If you want, install SMCFanControl. Otherwise, just leave it be and it should be alright. If you're extremely concerned, bust a mission to your nearest apple store and get things sorted out once and for all :)

15. noobsauce thread starter macrumors member

The CPU temp is 80C but my fan speed is only at about 1500rpm and the bottom gets very hot. It's not overheating (that would be 100C or above), the fans just aren't wokring.