Extremely hot MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -MRB, Oct 23, 2012.

1. -MRB macrumors 6502

I've just took my late 2011 17" MBP out of it's sleeve and carry case only to notice it was EXTREMELY hot all over. I'm talking really hot here.

I know laptops can get a little hot when performing certain tasks but this was unbelievable. I half expected to find the screen warped and my keys melted :eek:

The only thing I can put this down to was earlier today I was running Windows 7 on my Boot Camp partition, using AutoCAD when visiting a customer. When I was finished I simply shut the lid as I always do.

I'm thinking that Windows didn't sleep & carried on running (fans included) - And being inside a neoprene sleeve blocked the vents causing the extreme heat?

This seems strange as I've shut the lid and put the laptop to sleep when running Windows many times :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's the temperature? Extremely hot can be an subjective term.

3. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't tell you but when I picked it up I nearly dropped it because it was too hot to touch ALL over.

I also couldn't get an accurate reading as I had to turn it on by the power button. At this point the laptop was airing out of my apartments bi-fold doors.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pickup a copy of iStat menus (free trial period). It will detail what your exact temps are. People have reported hot MBPs but for me, I'm averaging 40c.

5. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

This happens, my own corporate notebook used to do it frequently Windows 7, just set Windows power management on lid closure to hibernate, it takes longer, however sleep in Windows can and does fail resulting in this very situation, and some versions of OS X are pretty good at this too...

FWIW my corporate Dell has gotten so hot that Intel`s thermal shutdown has kicked in and it still runs fine, although i doubt it does anything for longevity :p

6. -MRB thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the first time it's happened. I have iStat menu & also a temperature monitor and SMCFan.

I know many people exaggerate and worry about the heat of their laptop but this was completely abnormal. It runs in the 40's usually when in normal use.

My laptop was turned off when I took it out the sleeve. So for it to be so hot is worrying.

7. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Set Windows to hibernate on lid closure, this way you will be sure it wont repeat. When sleep fails due to a runaway process this happens the entire machine is literally burning hot, hibernate and shutdown is the only recourse as if it happened once, it will likely happen again.