EXTREMELY HOT TEMPERATURES FOR 2010 MACBOOK PRO i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinzhengli, May 23, 2010.

1. kevinzhengli macrumors newbie

The processor temperatures for my new Macbook Pro 2010 i7 is pretty extreme.

Web browsing/listening to music: 65-70 degrees Celsius

Games: Team Fortress 2 (boot camp), Modern Warfare 2 (boot camp), etc. etc.
    78-83 degrees Celsius on processor

Encoding a video from avi to mp4 or encoding a dvd: 83-89 Celsius

When the machine gets to temperatures above 73 degrees, I can't hold my fingers at the aluminum part above the function keys. I can deal with this since its only when I do intensive work, but I do intensive stuff pretty often. I'm primarily worried about if the machine will be damaged/the aluminum will burn off or something... :eek:

Otherwise, I'm fine with it being hot.

oh yea also, my fan ramps up to 6000 rpm when I play games. I play games for about 2-3 hours a day. will the fan wear out?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

if ggj says you're fine. then you ARE fine. he's never wrong! :apple:

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

WHEN YOU PUT IT IN ALL CAPS LIKE THAT, IT MUST MEAN VERY HOT EH ?

Mine runs at an idle average of 65 deg C, fans at 2000 RPM. Its no big deal. Running a Flash video takes it up to 80 deg C.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. However, a simple search of the forums will prove that those temps are quite normal, considering the workload.

6. kevinzhengli thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm just worried about if its gonna burn off the aluminum and when my Macbook is in a clamshell, its gonna burn the display too. And I can't even hold my finger there otherwise its burns!! :(

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

You know, I've been pressing that aluminum part of the case above the function keys for almost 10 minutes now and no matter how hard I press or where I press, nothing happens on my MBP.

ZOMG, DO YOU THINK IVE GOT A DEFECTIVE ALUMINUM CASE CUZ PRESSING MINE DOESNT DO ANYTHING MEANINGFUL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, don't scream about something thats normal. It just makes you look silly. Oh and your primary ventilation grille is up there by the screen hinge which is why that part is hot. Its working as intended. And unless you've got some "Magical Device" of a MBP, you don't NEED to be pressing up there so leave it be.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't burn off the aluminum. Aluminum melts at 660C/1220F

9. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

That's all? My original Core Duo MacBook Pro used to always go to 200 degrees fahrenheit under heavy work load. The thing got hot as hell.

10. DavidR91 macrumors member

That's ~93C which is only about 4C hotter than his encoding example

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

Do what GGJstudios suggests, search these forums. You will be reassured.
    Lots of other i7s (I assume all of them) show the same behaviour. In fact pretty much all MBPs made in the last few years behave in the same way.

12. ljx718 macrumors 6502

I don't know if it's because I have the 17 in but my i7 idles at low to mid 30s and hovers arond 40-41 when in use so I don't know why you guys get such high temps. I love how cool my laptop is

I had a early 15 in uni 2.66 and that idled around 50s.I couldn't have it on my chest when in bed. Now I can and I don't even notice. Big difference

13. yertle macrumors member

yertle

Mine got mighty hot when I was using log and transfer in FCE to bring 10 minutes of AVCHD video into the program. After the encoding was over, the temp went down. Editing in FCE didn't cause increase in temp.

But that's normal, surely?

One helluva machine and I LOVE it!

14. Wreckem macrumors member

All i7s and some i5s run hot. Not just in the macbook pro, but in every manufactureres laptops. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, etc.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

From Forum Rules:

16. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I tried coolbook to undervolt my MBP and it reduced the highest temp when I ran CPU check from 83 C to 73C; I think a 10 degree drop is significant. I used to use RMClock on my HP Pavilion for the same purpose; the only difference seems to be that coolbook hasn't reduced the idle temp, whereas RMClock did.

Thanks, that's kind of what it sounded like.

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Aren't i5 and i7' said to run at the same temps?