Extremely Limited iMac Options

Discussion in 'iMac' started by milesc3, Sep 28, 2015.

1. milesc3 macrumors newbie

I'm sure that the new 5K IMAC is a a joy to most people's eyes. Just think how much more of a joy it would be to the consumer if it had a proper GPU and better ventilation. I think to a certain extent the current IMAC 5K will appeal to a niche market as I can't imagine it giving it's best with the current setup options.

Where I will really question Apple's judgement is if they fail to continue to offer their current 2560x1440 monitor. It appears they've already stopped offering it with on of the higher end 4MG GPUs that they use to offer. My wife has a 2 yr old IMAC which is fully maxed in this configuration and it does a wonderful job with very little if any heat issues.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well it's just about the same price with 5K as without, you can get 4GB graphics upgrades and a multitude of storage options up to i7 desktop class processors and RAM is still user upgradeable.

In short the only real changes are they have put a better screen on as standard why would you not want that???

I really don't know what you are complaining about as far as I can see you have yet to make a negative point about the 5K iMac.l

It is exactly the same as the one your wife has but with better components and an improved screen, the reports of it getting hot have been vastly blown out of proportion (as is usual on any forum where issues are far more prevalant than isn't my computer brilliant posts).

As for a better GPU your wifes also uses a mobile graphics card and it is, in your words, wonderful for the job, I can't see how the better cards in the 5K imac will be any worse for you???

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

4. OPENSTEP macrumors newbie

OPENSTEP

The thing that is missing here is that the rest of the components will not be the same. They aren't going to plop a 4K display in today's 21 inch iMac. They are going to plop it into a system with a new MB, CPU and GFX card (or new integrated graphics).

You can't just say that an iMac can never move past 1440p ever like its some kind of end state perfection.

5. benfalcon macrumors newbie

benfalcon

6. benfalcon macrumors newbie

benfalcon

I have been using an iMac 5K for over 6 months. It Never has a heat problem. Significantly cooler than my previous iMac. Both used SSD drives. Also no performance problems as a active software developer. High Cost, however, is a problem.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

See I thought it was cheap. A maxed out imac doesn't have any competition in that price range. The Dell monitor alone costs the same as the base model, all you have to pay for are the upgrades.

Yes sure it would be great to have a super-high-spec graphics card. But I wouldn't be up for that if the cost were to be a whopping great fan buzzing away behind the screen to keep it cool.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Like others have said, the 5K iMac does not have heat problems. I have a maxed out 5K and use it with FCPX, Adobe CC and have never had a heat problem. FWIW - once you go to the new screen you will never go back.