Extremely long beachball times on ssd only

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natantantan, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Natantantan macrumors newbie

So I have a Macbook pro 2011 edition. I upgraded the HD to a SSD and everything worked great for about a year and my mac was faster. Then out of nowhere almost every single click resulted in a spinning beachball for about 30 seconds. I thoughts the SSD died or something so I got a replacement. I did a completely fresh install on my new SSD but the exact same thing is happening. Every time I move the mouse it loads for atleast a minute . The funny thing is when I put my old HD back in it works fine. So either I have two bad SSDs or something funky is going on here.

Any ideas?

I already tried reseting smc nvram and enabling trim. No dice.
    This is also on a completely fresh install of Yosemite 10.10.5

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What does the SSD SMART Data show? You can download SMART Utility here. Anything other than 'Passed' means it's a hardware failure.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I've seen a bad drive cable cause symptoms like this that only manifest with the SSDs more demanding data transfer rates. Do you have an external USB enclosure you can pop the SSD in then option key boot to it and see if the issue goes away. That would remove the internal cable from the mix and prove if that was the case or not.

Bad cable on these is fairly common.

4. Natantantan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep the sata cable is the problem!!
    Thank you!

Do you know what the cable is called and best place I can get a replacement?

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You didn't provide specific information about your 2011 MBP
    For my Late 2011 15" MBP (MacBookPro8,2) the cable is: Macbook Pro Hard Drive ribbon cable 922-9751

Here are installation instructions:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...Drive-IR+Sensor+Cable+Replacement/7514#s25972

Here is a link to one place the cable can be purchased (I'm sure there are others):
    http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Hard-...acBook-Pro-15-Unibody---922-9751-p-20996.html

6. Natantantan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a early 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch 8,1

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I usually use iFixit for things like that.