Extremely Quiet Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

So this is a new MBP(returned it 2 times till i got the right one). So I have a very quiet bedroom, and when I have noticed that the macbook pro 13inch current model makes a click from time to time, it's like once or twice every hour. I was wondering if this is anything I should worry about? Getting another exchange is not an option, I mean I could but I rather not, cause the Apple store folks seem to be getting kind of tired of seeing me.

For the Curious:
    1st return - Sudden freezes that happened on the second day of purchase!
    2nd return - The hinge stuck out on the left side.
    Current MBP - I am starting to notice the quiet clicks, not sure if I should worry about it.

Thanks guys.:apple:

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

It is a restraint for the logic board rubbing against the bottom casing. Nothing to worry about. Its 100% normal.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it's just one or two clicks it's most likely the hard drive. Most hard drives make this noise. It is perfectly normal. If it is lots of clicks then it's the fan and it may need to be replaced or fixed.

4. Koifim macrumors newbie

It is probably the HDD going into idle mode and therefore parking its head. Nothing to worry about! Enjoy your Mac!

EDIT: What Intell said...

5. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response. :apple:

6. reach4thelasers macrumors newbie

I'm more inclined to agree with ccashman92. I have the same issue on my brand new Macbook Pro 17" - and its not the Hard Drive!! I got an SSD with mine so there is no way its the drive.

I notice it happens more if I am lying down and have the laptop on me. It never happens when its on a table. So it sounds like something rubbing on the inside. It still annoys the fsck out of me though - any way to stop it?

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Mine makes that sound all the time. If it bothers you, get a SSD. A nice side effect is a huge speed boost!

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah along with a huge price hike.:p

9. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I've been having a similar problem: I can push down on the enclosure to the right of the trackpad and sometimes it will make a clicking noise. I noticed this one day when I stopped using my mouse and switched back to the trackpad. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

There is a plastic/metal piece screwed in between the battery and the logic board.... when the machine heats up, it can make the metal expand, causing the metal peice to make that sound when it comes into contact with the aluminum unibody. If it bothers you, remove that peice. Others may be able to provide insight on how to remove the peice...

11. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

In my opinion and experience I would say it is def the hard drive. I had a out of the box MBP with the stock 5400 rpm drive that would make that higher pitch metal click and I replaced it with an upgraded 7200 rpm and problem solved.

Good luck!

12. reach4thelasers macrumors newbie

its definitely not the hard drive - I think we all know what a Hard Drive click sounds like.

My macbook pro has an SSD drive so it can't be the drive! its more like a metal against metal kinda click, and only when the laptop is moved or on an unsteady surface.

13. reach4thelasers macrumors newbie