Extremely slow airport connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bristleworm, Jul 14, 2011.

1. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Hi.

I recently got a new MacBook Pro an I'm having massive problems with the airport connection. Opening a website in Safari can take minutes, and downloading the latest software updates (about 1.3 GB) was supposed to take 8 hours. When I connected over ethernet, the ETA of Software Update dropped to 8 minutes!
    Thing is, it can't be the base station (an Airport Express), because all other computers, smartphones and whatnots in our house have great Airport connection speeds.
    Any ideas what I could do? The MBP is new, I did nothing but install iWork. Are there any plists I could delete? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Freddy

2. Mr. PoopyPants macrumors newbie

I had the same experience. Mine eventually went away once I fully patched both the OSX and Windows partition of my hard drive. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by installing all the updates over ethernet. Just bring the patches up to the very latest and see if you still have the stability issues.

3. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

I installed every single update available but had no luck with that. :(
    The internet connection seems to get a maximum speed of about 260 KB/s. (My other Mac, sitting on the same desk, reaches about 1.5 MB/s…)
    And then there are random drops in connectivity: According to the menu bar, the connection is stable, all bars are displayed black, but all of a sudden a download won't continue and stop. When I stop that download and hit resume, it immediately works again… Really strange.

Any more ideas?

4. Mr. PoopyPants macrumors newbie