Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
Hi.

I recently got a new MacBook Pro an I'm having massive problems with the airport connection. Opening a website in Safari can take minutes, and downloading the latest software updates (about 1.3 GB) was supposed to take 8 hours. When I connected over ethernet, the ETA of Software Update dropped to 8 minutes!
Thing is, it can't be the base station (an Airport Express), because all other computers, smartphones and whatnots in our house have great Airport connection speeds.
Any ideas what I could do? The MBP is new, I did nothing but install iWork. Are there any plists I could delete? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Freddy

Mr. PoopyPants

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
I had the same experience. Mine eventually went away once I fully patched both the OSX and Windows partition of my hard drive. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by installing all the updates over ethernet. Just bring the patches up to the very latest and see if you still have the stability issues.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
I installed every single update available but had no luck with that. :(
The internet connection seems to get a maximum speed of about 260 KB/s. (My other Mac, sitting on the same desk, reaches about 1.5 MB/s…)
And then there are random drops in connectivity: According to the menu bar, the connection is stable, all bars are displayed black, but all of a sudden a download won't continue and stop. When I stop that download and hit resume, it immediately works again… Really strange.

Any more ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.