Extremely slow Airport disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iW00t, Aug 23, 2007.

1. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Has any B- og G-clients hooked up to the network? Or are you running N-only with N-only equipment exclusively?

3. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

Yeap. In fact my router is configured to N-only, and I am the only one who uses it.

A 19mb file took like 30s to upload, that cannot be right...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How's reception? Any obvious sources of interference? Have you tried changing the channel? If you directly plug the drive into your Mac, are the speeds faster? :)

5. PDE macrumors 68020

i'm getting about 1.1 MB/s...crazily slow. I'm beginning to think the whole airport disk think isn't going to work. Nice idea, but it's just too slow.

6. brian.leveille macrumors newbie

If your external disk hanging off the AE is formatted HFS+ with Journaling, try turning Journaling off.

When I turned off Journaling, my performance nearly doubled. I have a N only network (5Ghz) and I get around 5MB/sec.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

Thanks! I'll try that....

8. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

9. soonlar macrumors newbie

soonlar

slow copy

Mine is really slow too. Just bought airport express base station last week. I am getting about 1.5mbs during a backup. When I plug it directly into my iMac via usb I get around 15mbs.

It is formatted as journaled, should that really matter?
    Something seems wrong here.

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The processor in the AirPort isn't fast enough to allow high speed uploads.

However, I can easily stream 1GB movies, Apple Lossless Music, etc from mine on my 5 GHz 802.11n only network.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They should have spent an extra $10 and added a FW400 port.

12. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Have you installed the latest firmware for the AEBS?! I found that I had much better transfer rates after updating. Last night I transferred around 2.5G in 8 minutes over the airwaves using '802.11n (802.11g/b compatible)' settings on my base station...which I don't think is too bad at all!

13. soonlar macrumors newbie

soonlar

latest firmware 7.2.1

I have the latest firmware 7.2.1 and mine is still really slow using USB drives over wifi to my new iMac which has 802.11n wireless. It seems way too slow, avereages about 500kbs to 1.1mbs versus just plugging it in directly to my machine which then gets about 15mbs.

I use these settings: 802.11n (802.11b/g compatibile) with WPA/WPA2 Personal security and DHCP with my cable modem.

I've read some other posts elsewhere that folks are setting theirs to 802.11n only using the 5ghz band, also using 'Create a closed network' checked on.

Anyone see any results positive or negative playing around with the settings?

14. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I seem to be having the same problems as everybody else. I get less than 1Mb/s. Have tried all types of configuration (5Ghz, 2.4Ghz N Only and 2.4Ghz N/G/B Compatible) but still no joy. Upgrading to 7.2.1 made it even worse (2.4MB was going to take 20 minutes to copy) so I had to downgrade the firmware to 7.1.1. Also tried to change the security to see if that made a difference. Alas no. Not sure what else to do.