Extremely slow boot under since Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Lil.Edward, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Lil.Edward, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

Lil.Edward macrumors member

i have mac os x lion and i make a partition for snow leopard and when i deleted snow leopard from disk utility my mac book up slow

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Yeah. if you delete your OS, you'll have problems booting.

You're going to have to tell us more.

3. Bolteh macrumors regular

Extremely slow boot under since Lion

Ever since installing Lion, my boot time has increased dramatically compared to Snow Leopard.

I'm talking about the actual starting up of the machine, where it sits on a white screen for 3-5 minutes, then goes to the white screen with the Apple icon and the spinning thingy for a minute, and then makes its way into OSX smoothly. Back with Snow Leopard this entire process was done in under half a minute :/

Same goes for alt-booting to get into Windows; I have to hold the alt-key for 3-5 minutes before it appears (and then it shows my Lion partition, Win7 partition and some old backup partition that magically appeared since Lion (though that partition is nowhere to be found in Disk Utility).

What can I do to get the fast boot times back (and downgrading to SL is no valid answer :( ).

4. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Well not knowing your hardware, it is a little of a guess. However, I would set up an external drive to boot from, save everything of value off to external devices and then wipe the drive and start fresh with Lion (or Snow Leopard).

And I would run the hardware diagnostics from the original distribution DVDs before going too far.

neil

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Make sure the startup disk is designated correctly (System Preferences).

some "old" partition? :) That's Lion's recovery scheme. It's supposed to be there and is very small in size.

6. jbzoom macrumors newbie

Clean install of Lion solved similar problems for me on a 2008 MBA. System flies.

7. lakkadshaw macrumors newbie

Macbook pro 13" early 2011 model Lion boot up very slow

My mac originally came with snow leopard pre-installed, then Lion came out and I installed it, after installation my laptop became extremely slow. The I performed a clean install and still it is very slow.
    It take 5 minutes to boot up.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

You probably have a bad hard drive.

9. jesperoc macrumors newbie

Both my MacBook Pro and iMac was slow on boot. My MBP came with Lion. And I updated my iMac to Lion.

Before making a clean install just try the following two things:
    Boot time before cleaning:
    MBP: 240 sec.
    iMac: 65 sec.

1.Install "CleanGenius Pro" and clean folders.
    Boot time after using "CleanGenius Pro":
    MBP: 40 sec.
    iMac: 55 sec.

2.Install "Clean Memory" and run it:
    Boot time after using "Clean Memory":
    MBP: 40 sec.
    iMac: 40 sec.