Extremely slow charging battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n8236, Jan 31, 2009.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Is it me or the battery? I have a two month old UMBP and when I use it on battery for an hr, it takes almost 3x as long to recharge it to full.....what's with that? I've never seen that b4 on my first gen MBP.

2. eldy macrumors 6502

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

It's quite strange actually

Because when i first bought mine, mine was like that took a long time to charge up

Now it seems to charge quite fast and getting good life out of it.

Then again my friend has the same one as us and his battery does not last long on full charge.... I was thinking faulty batteries but not sure

ML

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. RichardMcCarty macrumors newbie

My Macbook is about one month old, and I love it. But I've never owned a device that provided such short battery life while taking so very long to charge.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

All Apple Macbook and Macbook Pro batteries take ages to charge, its because of the intelligent charging mechanism, so you trade longer battery life for slower charging.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

My new MacBook Pro's battery also takes a long time to charge (fully, while I'm using the Mac). Definitely longer than my iBook G4. These comments tell me that my battery may not necessarily be defective!

Very interesting there…

8. OngL macrumors member

I agree that MBP Unibody ( I don't have older one ) does extremely slow in charging. Please remember that lithium-based battery are quick in charging up to 80%. The last 20% perhaps can take up to 40% of charging time. However, in MBP case, even the first 80% is slow.

In my Thinkpad (IBM/Lenovo), I usually set 80% threshold to stop charging. It wears the battery less as no need to charge the 20% if we plug in and out the AC frequently.

9. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I briefly owned a early 2008 MBP and I can agree with everyone here that my new three month old Unibody does not last as long on a full charge and takes much longer to charge to full.

I figured since the new Unibody uses slightly upgraded parts (Graphics Card, etc.) that would account for the lower battery life. However, what I can't explain is why it takes so much longer to charge to full...

Thankfully I'm in a position where I use the computer at a desk 80% of the time and have access to a charger. Otherwise I'd be carrying around quite a bunch of spare extra batteries.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

By the way, my MBP goes for 4 hours with the 9400M, brightness set to low, and while web browsing and maybe a few other things. I was worried about that too (I thought 5 hours), but maybe I don't need to anymore.