Extremely slow connection through AirPort?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WalkingSnake, Jul 29, 2009.

1. WalkingSnake macrumors member

So when I use internet to connect to my WiFi connection, the speeds are at dial-up levels. My MacBook is almost right next to the router. After plugging ethernet in to it, it's going as fast as DSL should be.. 10-15x faster than it is over wireless.

I understand that wired is always a little faster, but the difference shouldn't be this drastic. What should I do?

2. maxsquared macrumors regular

What's the channel you set on your wireless router? What kind of passcode encryption on the router?

3. WalkingSnake thread starter macrumors member

Oddly enough, this morning my wireless connection is fine with no problems. I'll update here again if it acts up.

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Same here. Took me 2 minutes to open up this reply page. Ethernet not helping. Second time this week it happened. According to Activity monitor, I'm peaking at 3.91 KB/s.:confused:

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Changing the wireless channel or switching to 5GHz can make a difference. Sometimes you can get interference from other devices operating at 2.4GHz such as Bluetooth, wireless phones (not cell phones), and other wireless networks nearby.