Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
A few months ago I bought a new iMac. It has 16GB of RAM, a 1TB Fusion Drive, is a 21.5" Retina model, and has a 3.1GHz Intel Core i5. It has Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 15.36MB.

The issue is it runs VERY slow. At first I thought it was my imagination. It's a secondary Mac. My primary computer is a MacBook Pro with a Core i7, 16GB, and 1TB SSD Drive. I thought a Core i5 and Fusion Drive are maybe just much slower than a Core i7 and SSD Drive.

A couple months ago though I used a friend's 7 year old MacBook Pro with 8GB and a standard drive and much slower processor to realize that it was faster than my iMac and this was with multiple windows open. For example I have opened Safari on the iMac with nothing else open and tried to simply watch a video on a news site and it kept stuttering and beachballing.

I was going to do something about it at the time but I knew Sierra was coming out in the near future. I thought maybe something was just quirky in the system and a update to a new OS may fix it so I put up with it being slow since it was a second computer but no such luck. It's as slow as ever.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Since it's always been like this I wonder if it's some type of hardware problem with maybe the Fusion drive or possibly the memory or even CPU. If necessary I'm glad to make an appointment and go into the Genius Bar and it would be under warranty. Yet if it's something simple I can diagnose and fix with time at home I would rather do that. Is there any type of speed test or diagnostics I should do on it? I have some background apps running but it's not as many as I have on my MacBook Pro. I just wondered if something is using up resources and causing the speed to be slow. Yet boot up also takes a long time so it's not just while it's running.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
considering it has been that way from the start, not taking it back to Apple is a bad idea. whatever is wrong (likely the drive) should be replaced as an official repair and this will create a record at Apple so that when this machine has additional issues, you have evidence of a real problem.

I would have been looking for a swap out on a new machine by day 3. you should never accept less than what you are supposed to get.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Yes if it is brand new, either take it in or call and get it shipped in. You are still inside your Apple phone support period too. Get the fact that it has an issue on record with Apple. I've had multiple items fixed by Apple outside of the traditional warranty period because they were able to see my service record.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I will be scheduling an appointment with the genius bar and having them look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.