Extremely Slow Macbook Pro 13inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smiffyvs, Sep 22, 2014.

1. smiffyvs macrumors newbie

hello my name is Zac and i have got a macbook pro 13 inch. it was supplied by my school and i have been having some problems with it being very slow. i gave it to my schools I.T and they sent it of for repair. it got sent back after stress test and they said there is nothing wrong with it. does anyone have any ideas on how i can fix this.... i cant do any thing that needs an administrator password be:(cause i dont know it

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If it's got a HDD, then that's the reason.

HDD-equipped Macs are really slow.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You will need to run the Activity Monitor and look at the cpu tab, sort by highest at the top and post the results here as a screenshot.

It likely isn't slow, its actually loaded up doing something that may not be of use to you...

yjchua95 is very young and doesn't realise there was a mystical time before SSDs when HDD-equipped machines were still useful :cool: LOL

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Dude, I've been on HDD equipped Macs all this while, and made the switch to all-SSD in 2013.

Back then, since there wasn't an SSD to compare it with, HDDs still felt normal. It was only after I made the switch to SSDs, and then all HDD equipped Macs felt sluggishly slow.

5. smiffyvs thread starter macrumors newbie

My Mac is HDD-equipped but it is still alot slower than all of my friends at my school. my sister has the same mac and hers isnt as slow as mine....

Here are the results of the Activity Monitor Thing....

Attached Files:

6. smiffyvs thread starter macrumors newbie

my mac used to me much faster and one day it became slow... it was quick before compared to now.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Hey I was only pulling your leg ;)

Even so, the OP likely has a proper issue as he isn't comparing it to an SSD machine...

8. smiffyvs thread starter macrumors newbie

so do you know how to fix my problem???

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Hmmm, can't see anything using lots of CPU so next check is to see if it is running out of RAM (use the Activity Monitor again) or HDD space (use Finder or About This Mac/Storage), if no clues there then use Disk Utility to verify the disk and repair permissions, then use something like Blackmagic to run a speed test on the disk (should get 50-60MB/s isn).

If no problems found there then its fresh OS install time....IMHO

10. smiffyvs thread starter macrumors newbie

i have 339GB out of 499GB left

my Memory and blackmagic results are attached.

Attached Files:

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can't see a problem, was the machine "slow" while you were doing these tasks or do you usually have some other app(s) loaded or running when it is slow?

Next step is to verify permissions on the disk but that and an OS reinstall will require admin permission....

12. smiffyvs thread starter macrumors newbie

my mac is slow no matter what i am doing. i have already verified premissions many times and hasnt fixed anything. OS reinstall i dont think is an option.

thanks for the help anyway

regards Zac

13. chipchen macrumors 6502

Use a firewire cable. Connect your computer to your sister's. Boot hers up in Target Disk Mode by holding down "T" while booting. Hold down the option key when you boot your MacBook Pro. You should see her harddrive as an option to boot from. Select it and boot from it. See if you're getting the same issues.

And OS reinstall is always an option if you're looking to troubleshoot your problem.

Also, how much RAM do you have? What operating system version? Any devices plugged in while booting?

14. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

4GB ram
    It's in the attachment

15. chipchen macrumors 6502

If you're gonna answer for him, can you answer the other questions too?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you be more specific exactly what you mean by "slow"... like maybe give us some examples with numbers. Such as "it takes 45 seconds to launch iTunes".... that sort of thing.

I'm not seeing anything wrong so far.

17. smiffyvs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I just got my mac back from repair and they replaced the hard drive and the hard drive cable. Apparently the cable melted and damaged the hard drive.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards Zac