Extremely slow start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by olliea95, Mar 21, 2009.

1. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Sorry about the thread, I'm know there are a lot of them around, but none of the ones I have seen help me. Let me clarify the problem, my Mac's start up is fine, until I get the the window with the bar that says "OS X starting up". This is the *really* slow bit.

I am grateful for the fact that my old Power Mac is yet still faster at starting than my PC, but it is a whole lot slower than it should be. When I say "should be", all the Macs at school, or at the apple shop barely show the start up bar window. Ok, granted that they are a great deal newer and faster, but after a clean install of OS X on my machine, that bar was there for a maximum of 5 seconds. Now it usually takes 20-30 seconds.

Right, on to the things I have already tried:
    * Cleaning out login items
    * Turning off auto login
    * Checking all my fonts
    * Disabling the unused fonts
    * Cleaning cache files and restarting twice
    * Unplugging all of my hardware, bar the monitor

Even after trying everything on this list, plus a few hundred restarts, it is still booting up slowly. Does anybody have anymore ideas? Also, if somebody could please let me know where the log for system start up is stored, I will look through it and post it. Also, I should note that I am running OS X 10.4.11 'Tiger'.

Thanks in advance, and I am grateful for any replies.

Edit: I cannot remember when this started to occur, but all I can remember is it could possibly be related to the install of 'LittleSnitch', so if anybody else has had issues like mine in accordance of LittleSnitch, then please post.

2. mrachul macrumors newbie

I was wondering if you figured this out yet? I am having the same problem.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It depends how many startup items you've got. Programs liek antivirus software, firewalls, etc.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Do you have any 3rd party apps running other than little snitch? Menu meters stuff like that?

Have you ran disk utility and checked the hdd and permissions?