Extremely Slow Sync - Two Days So Far!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NateX, Jun 22, 2010.

1. NateX macrumors newbie

I've been searching for other threads to avoid duplication but I didn't seem to find anybody that has as extreme problem as I do.

Device: 3GS 32GB w/16GB data, >1GB apps and >1GB photos, the rest music/video. Computer: Core 2 duo, 2GB RAM.

Problem:
    I started the iOS4 upgrade Monday morning and incurred a problem with the pre-install backup sync the device needs to perform before upgrading. To resolve this I read on Apple's website that I had to dump the old backup file thus creating a fresh backup file. However, the backup so far has been extremely slow. I've been syncing now for nearly two days straight and the status bar isn't even half way complete. I've cancelled and restarted a couple times to troubleshoot variables (restarted computer, restarted iphone, etc) and nothing helps speed it up. There's no way it takes four days to transfer 16GB of data via usb 2.0. To put things in perspective, I uploaded about 75GB of data on my other computer to my online backup service in less than a day.

Anyone else familiar with this problem or know of something I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Here's a way to make it go a bit faster although there could be problems, I'll explain at the end.

End the process and just sync your device and make sure iTunes makes a backup (this backup shouldn't take long at all). Just to be safe I would right/secondary click on your device under the Devices menu to the left and select "Backup Device" (or something along those lines).

After that's done click Restore instead of Update. It will restore and update A LOT quicker.

Now when it's complete it will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or set it up as a new device. I highly suggest setting it up as a new device because then the OS will be less sluggish but do what you will. If you want to restore the backup then select restore from a backup and it will now put the back up on your device (this may take quite a while but no where near the times you're experiencing now). Then sync back your media and you're done!

Now, the problems. When I did this there was an error restoring my backup so I had to set it up as a new device (although I'm glad I did as I stated above), however; I went from 4.0 GM to the official 4.0 so that could be why I had the error. So, in short, do this at your own risk.

3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

My upgrade (iPhone 3G) of iOS4 started yesterday at, say, 4:00 PM. Did end tonight at about 3 AM.
    And, I'm having now troubles with wifi (it sees the network, but it does not try to connect).

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'm getting extremely slow synch times as well. I don't have photos synching so that doesn't explain what what I'm running into. I can say that I've seen this with my new iPhone 4, with my 3GS using iOS 4 and even the 3GS under 3.x iOS but it is a fairly new issue so I'm wondering if this started with the last iTunes update. I'm definitely looking for experiences from others so we can hopefully narrow this down.

6. NateX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I think this might have done the trick. I ended up just backing up all my photos/videos to my computer manually by copying them directly (bypassing iTunes) as if I was downloading from an external drive or digital camera. Then, I just deleted them all from my iPhone from the windows explorer window. When I resync'd it was a tiny bit faster, but still took about 4 hours. Once complete, I had an error that the upgrade couldn't be completed, so I figured I'd just restore. Upon plugging it back in it mysteriously completed the upgrade, within seconds!

So, after 3 days of agonizing backing up, it finally worked.

I next upgraded my wife's phone, same device specs, and that only took 20 minutes - go figure, however she does have far less content than I.