Extremely Slow Wireless Performance on an Extended Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applemax, Apr 3, 2010.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi

My network setup consists of a Time Capsule (early 2009) wireless network that is being extended by an AirPort Extreme (early 2007) which has an Xbox 360 connected to it via ethernet.

1) Everything seems fine on the MacBook Pro (wireless N) when connected to the Time Capsule and I can get the full speed of my broadband connection (8Mbit). However, when the MacBook Pro connects to the AirPort Extreme, in another room, my broadband speed drops to around 2Mbit, however the transfer rate usually remains unchanged (between 78 and 130).

I know it has nothing to do with the positioning of the base stations, as when I turn off the AirPort Extreme, the MacBook Pro, in the same room, has the full internet speed.

This is really annoying as I rely on my Xbox 360 for heavy video streaming and content downloads.

2) When the Xbox 360 is downloading something, any internet served by the AirPort Extreme becomes totally unusable and dead.

3) Additionally, the AirPort Extreme sometimes insists on extending the 5Ghz network from the Time Capsule which only provides a rate of around 10.

Please help me! :)

Thanks

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you don't need to extend the network, just have the express join the network from the extreme.

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I don't have an Express.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you don't need to extend the network, just have the extreme join the network from the time capsule.

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Can't do that. Joining a network disable's the AirPort Extreme's ethernet ports.