Extremely sluggish internet performance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MatchFrame, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

I have Time Warner Road Runner internet service, and on my brand new mac pro, the speed of my internet connection is awful.

I've tried connecting wirelessly to my Wi-Fi network, and it connects automatically, with no issues, and with a strong signal. However, the speed is terrible (something like a max of 20kb/sec). Safari and Firefox both are extremely slow. I have a PC in the same room as my Mac Pro connecting wirelessly, and it is extremely fast.

I even ran a very long ethernet cable I happened to have all the way into this room, and the performance is still terrible. There is a PC in the same room as the router connected directly to the router, and its performance is flawless as well.

I ran an online speed test, and it seems to think my speed is normal for a cable modem, which I found to be very strange.

Any idea what settings (Mac, Airport, or router) or resources might help me solve this problem? Any help would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Are you sure you are connecting to your own network and not someone else's? This can happen if you live in an apartment with neighbors. Go under the Airport menu and check to see what network has a check mark next to it.

3. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm positive it's my own. I have a password and everything that I entered to access it.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You can try switching wireless channels in your router.

I would also take a look at Activity Monitor in the /Applications/Utility folder and see how much of your cpu is being used. You may have a process running that is using a lot of cpu and slowing your entire mac down.

5. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

I'll try switching channels when I get a chance to.

As far as the CPU, performance elsewhere has been unaffected.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God