Extremely stupid Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ratatapa, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Hi, i am planning to buy an external HDD for my Air and I wanted to use time machine too.

Exemple my backup takes 400gig, can i use the 600 gig left for data on it or if I use it for time machine it will be used for time machine only.

Also 2nd stupid question.

How many different machines can you plug on 1 time machine enabled drive, assuming that there is enough place.

Thanks

2. jbjones85 macrumors member

Yes, When you set up the drive configure it with 2 partitions, one for TM and one for data. I did the same thing on my 1tb drive. 500 for TM and 500 for media pacbkup. (I then clone this drive to another drive just in case that one fails.)

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You can put whatever you want on a Time Machine volume, just don't try and do anything with the folder that Time Machine creates. You don't have to partition it, but be aware that Time Machine will eventually <mostly> fill up the disk and it might be difficult to find space for new huge files after a while.

You can plug an external Time Machine disk into as many computers as you want.

A.

4. Ratatapa thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. jbjones85 macrumors member

This is true, I partitioned it because I didn't want TM to use the whole thing.