Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Hi,
Recently a guy was selling me an iPhone X 256 gb space grey with receipt . I normally check the details via serial number before buying. This time strangely the serial number showed me iPhone 7 . Even the IMEI is of iphone 7. Even part number is suspicious.

Is apple re-using serial number and IMEI or this is a fake phone. Although he claim to have an authentic receipt of buying this phone ( I haven't seen the receipt but call the deal off due to suspicion).
Whats your feedback on this

Attachments

• received_10212470420573985.jpeg
    received_10212470420573985.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 673

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks God. I backed out at the last moment. The guy sold the phone on much higher price to someone else. The interesting part is how the IMEI and serial number sticker shows Iphone X as product with right product number. Anybody can be easily fooled as most of the people dont know how to check the authenticity through checkcoverage.apple.com

Reactions: Ml989

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Yes he did. It is shown as sealed pack with apple like wrapping. Its difficult to judge if its real or fake from the box.

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
He sent me two pics. One of the whole box from the front other from the back . Then I asked him to send me the serial number of the phone, so he sent me this picture as people are too lazy to type the serial number as message :).

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Pic he sent

Attachments

• file1.jpg
    file1.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 459
  • file.jpg
    file.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 480

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Feels more like a fake account advertising for that check-details website than an actual posting about fake phone...

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Don't support reseller scum, or better yet try to scam them with Venmo yourself... Just desserts.

Laowai184

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
Manchester
Here's a video on how phones are repackaged to look like new in China. You may have seen it before, but if not, it's quite interesting to watch. Of course, there doesn't even need to be an actual phone in that box; some have been known to contain a brick inside...

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
The idea of this thread was to seek peoples opinion and notify them that these types of products are also available in the market so beware .
If you're making a thread based on something your questioning, why even consider it? Move on to something that seems more legitimate.

emenent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
Guys,
This is a wide spread problem in NZ. Beware. People are selling iphone x with old serial numbers, and invoice from SPARK (Telco operator). One of my friend was closed to be scammed but he was intelligent enough to skip out of the deal. This happened with him once making and a deal and meeting person 1-1.

At first he was provided the right serial number in text that he verified but once he visited the person, the phone had a different serial number, of iphone 7. He cancelled the deal immediately. He was shown (fake) invoice and even the bag was from telecom operator. Pretty ligitimate stuff.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I’ve never understood why anyone thinks for a second that a receipt is any kind of guarantee of anything.

If anything, a seller’s touting of a receipt is an automatic red flag in my book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.