EXTREMELY Tedious Task...Can Applescript help? Can YOU?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sloppyjoe713, May 27, 2009.

1. Sloppyjoe713 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm currently in the midst of an extremely tedious task. For our anniversary, I am giving my girlfriend a bound book of all of out iChats over the past year. As you may know, iChat saves chat transcripts in its own way, through files only openable with iChat. The screennames are not included, nor are timestamps. So I've been copy and pasting all of the text into a word document, and pasting the screenname of who said it (me or her) manually...for EVERY SINGLE LINE. This is extremely annoying, long, and boring, for the first 20 pages ive done...which is two days worth of chatting. I am going to end up with hundreds and possibly thousands of pages. So I thought maybe Automator or Applescript can help me do this automatically, because it is the same action over and over again...for hundreds of pages. The following is the best description of what I do:

1. The raw text is copied from iChat into microsoft word. There are three different fonts: Mine (Skia) Hers (Arial) and iChat's periodic timestamps (Helvetica)
    2. The first thing I do is change the size of everything to 14. This I can do myself.
    3. I copy my Screenname in BLUE with a colon and ONE space following it. We can call me "Boyfriend1" So my "timestamp" before everything I say is: "Boyfriend1: (blah dee blah)"
    4. I go line by line and paste my screenname heading into every line that has my font. (Skia)
    5. I do the same thing for hers, different screenname, different color (RED) but same one colon and one space. and I paste her screenname heading at the beginning of every line that starts with her font. (Ariel)

I will be glad to do this by hand for her if I must, but there has GOT to be an easier way.
    If there is a way on applescript or something to at least do the heading pasting, so I dont have to do it myself, line by line by line, which will take combined days, it would be MUCH appreciated if somebody could tell me how, teach me how, or design an applescript for me.

Please feel free to IM me [AIM](Sloppyjoey713) or E-mail me (Sloppyjoe713@yahoo.com) with ANYTHING that might help me. After doing 20 pages of it, I'm fairly desparate here.

Thank you very much

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Only thing I found is word can do a find and replace based on font. But I can't get it just to add something at the start of the line. Automator does not seam to be much help either.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Okay, after some work I got a bit closer. Using the automator record function you can create a workflow which will find something with that font. Move to the front of the line then paste something. Then in theory if everything is only one line you can have it move to the next line before looping. This way it should find the next instance of that font, then move to the front of that line (with the home key) and repeat the process. I don't however know how to deal with multi line chats.....Its a start.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This would be easy enough to do from the command line, but first you'd need to get the data into Terminal. I'm not sure how you'd do that. The log files aren't the easiest to read.