Extremely Unlucky first iPad experience!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fredyt911, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Fredyt911 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I never really post on here but I feel like I had to tell my story with the new iPad. First of all I know there are other threads on this topic already, but whatever....

Okay so I got my first iPad on launch day and I absolutely love it. I am completely satisfied with it and have only one unfortunate thing occuring to me. So I bought it at Best Buy since I was out of town and where I was at there weren't any Apple stores. Okay well I open it up and for some reason I imediately noticed 3 dead pixels on the screen. I was like okay this is no big deal I'm sure I'll be able to return it. But I wanted to play with it for a while so I waited till the next morning. I go to Best Buy the next day and get it replaced. Happy outcome for the most part, other than the really long lines at the customer service desk. Okay well of course as soon as I open this second iPad I start checking for dead pixels. I find 2 this time! I couldn't believe it and they were practically in the same area. I came to the conclusion that maybe this Best Buy just had a defective batch or something. I chose to wait till I got back home to go to my local Apple store this time. I did just that. Booked a genius bar appointment. So I get there and the guy at the Apple store was actually surprised. I guess they hadn't gotten any dead pixel cases at that store yet. Well anyways he goes to the back and brings back a new one. He explained how sorry he was that this occured to me twice. All in all, I was happy once again.

Well of course, first thing I do is check the screen and find ONE dead pixel. OMG how could this happen to me 3 times!!!.

I most probably wont go back for this one, but then again once you spot the damn thing it's hard to not see it.

Well anyways just wanted to share my sad story. I am just curious to what you guys would have done or would do in my situation.

2. rgr555 macrumors 6502

3. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Thats really unlucky.. definitely replace it. Even if you don't mind, when you go to resell it, it will definitely knock off some value.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Well if the progression is 3, 2, 1, logically, the next one should be the perfect one :p

5. Fredyt911 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't really thought of that. I guess I might consider taking it back again.

6. DaKidPin macrumors newbie

lol I was just about to post something similar to this.

7. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I've gone through 3 iPads, all of them have had 1 dead pixel . This is especially annoying when people i know have gotten them and don't have any (and trust me, I've looked over them) The people at the apple store have been very nice about it, and completely understand how annoying it is to have a defect on a $1000 device, but they think it could be a bad batch of them or something like that, they said to go to the other store next week to try to get one out of a different batch. I guess I just have been really unlucky, but hopefully I will end up with one that doesn't have any bad pixels .

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Be very careful at bestbuy. Even if you have a defective ipad and return it they track your purchases (that's why they ask for your id). Even if you return it unopened they still track it as if it was opened. Just read the link below. There is a goofy equation they use to track this activity. They do give a warning but it's your final warning. You won't be able to return anything within 90 days (even previous purchases). This is the company they use. I personally shop at Sams Club and walmart.

http://www.theretailequation.com/

Worst case is that you can always use a love one or a friend to return it for you. Not taking revenge on Bestbuy. You just need to know that it is a possibility when swapping these tablets out.

9. EarlZ macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.2; en-us; GT-P6800 Build/HTJ85B) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13)

Have it replaced for sure your gonna get one with out deadpixels.. the chance of you getting two dead pixels in a row is like winning the lottery as per someone on the other thread :-D

10. KPOM macrumors G5

I had a stuck pixel on my 2010 MacBook Air (it developed about 6 months in). None of the "remedies" worked (I tried pressing it, running the software "fixes" for an entire day, etc.). Once you notice it, you can't stop noticing it. My advice would to try your luck with another one while you are in the return period.

Of course, with 4 times as many pixels, logically it is a lot more likely that one would be dead or stuck (I'm not sure if it is exactly 4 times as likely, but that would be the intuitive answer). At the same time, it may slightly less noticeable.

11. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I took my iPad3 into the Apple Store tonight because I was extremely unhappy with my yellowish screen.. (my wife has a iPad3 as well and her screen is amazingly brighter, and whiter with no yellowish hue).. I came to the conclusion this was unacceptable..

Well they exchanged it.. The screen had a more natural hue, not as yellow if at all.. but 1 dead pixel. Guy offered to open another.. Same thing, 1 dead pixel.. Guy offered to open another.. Same thing.. 1 dead pixel.

Guy AGAIN offered to open another.. 1 dead pixel.. took this one home because I was getting sick to my stomach over it.. You spend nearly $2000 for two iPads and you can't even own all of your pixels.. And seeing 4 brand new iPads opened in a row to exibit dead pixels and yellowish hues (none of them were as white as my wives iPad, we compared each one)..

Very upsetting process.. Obviously either bad batches going out to stores or just bad quality control on the iPad3..

Big thanks to the Apple store rep who was willing to open as many as it took until I was happy... He said to bring this one back in if I still wasn't happy to exchange it again.

I love Apple's customer service for sure. To be honest, the pixels are so miniscule I tend to lose where it's actually located anyways so I don't think its going to be that much of a bother.