Extremely Weird External Monitor Problem HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac.book, May 26, 2011.

1. mac.book, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

mac.book macrumors newbie

So i recently bought a mini-display port --> HDMI adapter as well as an HDMI --> DVI adapter for my macbook pro --> external monitor display set up.

I have tested the mini-display port --> HDMI adapter on my TV and it worked perfectly.

I have tested the HDMI --> DVI adapter with one of my PC laptops and it worked perfectly with my external monitor.

When i connect the mini-display port --> HDMI adapter with my HDMI --> DVI adapter (through an HDMI cable), the Self-Test Feature Check on my monitor blinks on and off when my macbook pro is attached.

---------------------------------------------

I have also tried using a mini-display port --> HDMI --> DVI --> DVI cable --> monitor and that has not worked either ):
    I have tried restarting both the monitor and my macbook to no avail

Any solution to this problem?

2. mac.book thread starter macrumors newbie

[Also]: the monitor has been detected on my laptop, but the signal is not going through

3. medi.freak macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that dude. I don't really have a satisfying answer either, but it sounds like your wild adapter construction is causing the problem. If no one else can help my suggestion would be ordering a min displayport to DVI adapter and trying if it works with that. If now you can always return the adapter within 14 days. Good luck !

4. mac.book thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! so the problem definitely isn't in my brand new macbook right lol cuz that would be bad

5. medi.freak macrumors regular

i don't think it's the device. no. Maybe you happen to know anyone who has an external monitor with DVI port? That way you could try out if it's a Monitor problem, which i don't think it is. Maybe you even know anyone who has a macbook pro (2010 Model would work as well) and you could see if it works with his/hers....If it does it would be your computer. Or a setting on your computer? Couldn't help you in that case though =P. If you don't have any friends (haha jk) just get the cable I told you and you will know more. I bet it would work with the mini Displayport --> DVI cable.