Extremely weird safari bug/virus.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macintosh.apple, Aug 28, 2008.

1. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

Ok, I know its not a virus but it is really weird. Whenever I open safari it takes me to my homepage just like normal. I can go to any website except for macrumers. The only way I can get to macrumers is if I type in www.macrumors.com, if I just type macrumors or macrumors.com like I normally do this will pop up and close down safari. This only happens when I type in macrumors.

Attached Files:

2. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

I have done some more tests and it will do it on most websites if I dont type www

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Check you DNS settings ... What are they?

Network preferences > Advanced > DNS tab

Did you install anything right before this started happening?

Attached Files:

4. Applepwns macrumors member

Do you have popup blocker on? and i would suggest "Reset Safari" it should clear it out. and you should be back to normal

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it might be a DNS issue, to confirm, see if other browsers have same problem.

if it is a DNS issue, maybe contact your ISP see if its a general problem, or a malicious stuff on your own computer.

6. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

This is all I see. I have reset safari multiple times

Attached Files:

7. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I might be out of date since I haven't pay attention to it for a while. There is some DNS problem that apple didn't fix on client side, as far as I know.

Im not sure there is anything you can do about it. Short of switching browsers, if this bothers you a lot.

I will hold off re-installing OSes for now, in case smarter people reply and offer better solutions.

9. The General macrumors 601

How are you sure? Did you check your DNS settings?

10. kolax macrumors G3

When you type 'macrumors' into the address bar, does it change it to 'http://www.macrumors.com/' or just make it 'http://macrumors/' like in your screenshot?

Also, I notice you typed macrumers in your original post. You absolutely sure you are spelling it correctly all the time?

11. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if its a misspelling, safari will present a blank page with a google search box on it. not redirecting to an ads website.

13. kolax macrumors G3

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, your browser wasn't redirected to the website OP posted, was it?

or you have some misunderstanding about how safari's urlbar works?

PS, what you got isn't "re-direct", they are simply "adding www. and .com to whatever you type and try to go there, no any url inquiry involved"

15. kolax macrumors G3

No it wasn't, but that is only three common spelling mistakes of it. Any other typo might get you a website like that.

And it is redirecting since it uses Google's 'I'm Feeling Lucky' - not just adding "www" and ".com".

Do you have a misunderstanding of how Safari's URL bar works?

16. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

it doesnt just do this with macrumors, it does it to just about every other website.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

haha, fine, this is first time I heard safari's urlbar is using google's feeling lucky.

try type mozillazine and press enter, see exactly what is google feeling lucky, and what will safari gives you

18. kolax macrumors G3

You said in your original post that it only happened with MacRumors!

When did this start happening? Can you remember if you installed anything accidently, but didn't think anything of it?

19. lostless macrumors 6502

It could be a bad DNS entry at your ISP as others might of said. Try using open DNS at www.opendns.com. Jjust change your dns servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, which are the open dns servers and see if that fixes the problem. If not, there's a dns issue on your computer.

20. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

here are some more pictures. If it was from the DNS service wouldn't all of the other computers on the network be affected?

Attached Files:

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, which means you were probably right about something wrong with your computer, do you remember any weird popups or behavior of safari in previous browsing session since which this problem began to happen?

also, does that page display instantly? or slowly? the reason I ask is that there is possibility that some malicious stuff just replaced your safari's default unable to reach page, in which case, the page should be out instantly since it didn't go through internet after all.

22. cw2k7 macrumors member

Have you installed any video codecs etc through safari recently as their are a couple of fake internet plugins that are actually trojans and these redirect your browsing.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sounds like you may have this trojan:

There is a removal tool available from SecureMac.com.

24. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, but how do i get rid of it?

25. macintosh.apple thread starter macrumors 6502

tried it , but it didn't work