Exynos 5 8 Core CPU, Galaxy S4's new CPU? Truly a beast.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Timzer, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Timzer, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

Timzer macrumors 6502

Sammy just introduced their new badasssss processor. It truly is a beast.
    Now before anyone goes on about battery life, this thing is meant to give you better power efficiency. Being a true OEM like Samsung truly has its advantages.

SOURCE

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

That's the advantage of Samsung making chips and other components as well.

3. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Now if only they spent more time caring about the design and quality of exterior components and software...

This chip does sound very powerful though. I'm interested to see a showdown between this, the 800, Tegra 4, and Apple's next chip. At this rate, our phones will be faster than my 2010 MBA in a year.

4. coldmack macrumors 6502

More than likely this wont hit until the Galaxy S5, when they lower TDP a little. In it's current state it is more suited for their ARM based Chromebook(which I've read great things about), and then possibly the Galaxy Note III.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I agree. I think Sammy is doing great things, and it's not to say the S3 is designed poorly or feels cheap (it actually feels good and has amazing ergonomics) but I'm ready to see a higher quality build, too. I'm even open to the idea of an enclosed body/battery, though I know that'd never happen as people have come to love the Galaxy line for its removable battery and expandable SD slot.

Also would love to see TouchWiz "grow up" and "mature" a little. Again, that's not to knock it currently.

Either way, at this point in time, if one can wait, it's worth it to see what the S4 brings before making any moves.

EDIT: Well, the rumored Googorola Phone X might be something worth waiting for, too.

Furthermore: I think Sony's Xperia is in a great position to take number 2 spot. LG is just kind of boring, and HTC is a losing cause, especially considering they insist on making the wake/sleep button harder and harder to reach on their devices (absolutely idiotic).

6. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

If only Galaxy S series came with pure Android...

7. daveathall, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I quite agree, I'm not so sure that will happen though, the patents that some companies have out on design and materials have really hamstrung new design. Would love to see something aluminium by Samsung but.........Who would then cry, "but, but aluminium is all ours".

Here's a good article.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...irst-smartphone-designed-entirely-by-lawyers/

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

The Galaxy SIII with vanilla Android would be pure win! I love my Nexus 4 but UGH there are just some days I miss my S3.

9. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

You say that but my 3 month old note 2 is in immaculate condition, cant say that about too many iphone 5's. Not all plastic is the same im really impresed by the quality of my phone. Software is bug free and smooth as butter. I had an iphone for 5 years, not sure what you are on about...

10. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I'm not saying that they are poorly built. Last time I used the S3 it certainly wasn't flexing or creaking. I'm saying that the materials they're using don't feel as luxurious or premium as others on the market. Nor do they look it. The HTC and Nokia polycarbonate phones feel much more quality, and look it too. Samsung's phones aren't cheap, but they certainly look and feel it to a certain extent.

As for the software, it's atrocious design. If you don't care about design and looks, then I'm sure it's fine. But I do, so...