Eye Fi Center CPU Memory Hawg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by r0k, Apr 15, 2011.

1. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yesterday I got home from the office and wanted to scan about 20 pages and email them to my iPad to prepare for a meeting. My Mac was running like a PC. :eek: It was bad. Everything was like molasses in January and the beachball had completely replaced the normal cursor. :confused: I decided to run Activity Monitor and guess who ate my computer? It was Eye-Fi center! :mad: At first I noticed Firefox was hovering around a gig of memory with 50+ tabs open and I did a quick session manager save and closed it. Back when I had FF 3.6 I was used to the idea of closing and reopening FF to get performance but this had never happened with FF 4. The machine was still slow even after FF had given back all its memory and disappeared from the dock. What gives? More concerning was the fact my Macbook's fans were running full out. This hadn't happened since I got rid of that cpu hungry crawling bugs screensaver.

Then I spotted Eye-Fi center lunching on 700 meg of physical memory. I closed it from its own menu and eventually got my machine back after it gave back its memory and exited normally. I reopened Firefox and still had my machine back. I did not know until this day it was Eyefi center all along. Next time I need to tweak Eye-Fi settings I'll open the software, change the settings and then close the darn thing before it runs away with my Mac!

This isn't just a memory leak, it's more like memory lust. I think I'll head over to their support site and complain but I'm posting here first so I can find out if anybody else notices this or is it just me that left Eye-Fi center running and walked away? You don't need it running just to upload your photos but rather to make changes to settings like destination folders or servers to upload to. There is a menu bar icon that stays visible after Eye-Fi center exits and there is no CPU penalty for keeping that icon visible.

2. r0k thread starter macrumors 68040

r0k

Wow. Nobody has this problem that visits MR, eh?

Today I allowed Eyefi to update itself to version 3.3.0 from 3.2.2 but I still won't leave eyefi center running and walk away as it will probably grow to fill available memory again.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I didn't see any need to have it running so I shut it off ages ago. Once the Eye-Fi is configured I didn't need to see it anymore. I just let it FTP to my NAS on its own.