Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyepain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
Hello all,
Starting with Iphone X onwards (all models!) - all iphone screens give me a light headed ,slightly dizzy feeling + eye strain / discomfort.
Even tried the XR which is said not to have PWM flickering - took a little longer for the discomfort to appear (5 minutes longer) but it came.
Have similar issues with the MacBook Pro Touchbar series (all 13" models as well).

I read all threads on the issue, tried many settings and always ended up with returning the devices and rolling back to iPhone8 and Macbook Pro 2014.

I even had my eyes checked by a doctor and all is fine.

Does any one has an idea what happened with Apple screens?
Apple screens used to be most comfortable, eye friendly screens on the market (been using Apple devices over 20 years) - since 2 years things have changed, at least for me and from what I read for others as well.
Ideas?
Can anyone inform Apple about that?
Thank you

Reactions: 5105973

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The MBPro screen and XR are no different than previous models so it should not be a problem.

If you can not do an Apple device like the XR when has a typical Apple screen I do not know what to say except maybe your eye doctor missed something. For you to all of a sudden have trouble these last two years makes me feel like it could be a human issue and not Apple's.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hello all,
Starting with Iphone X onwards (all models!) - all iphone screens give me a light headed ,slightly dizzy feeling + eye strain / discomfort.
Even tried the XR which is said not to have PWM flickering - took a little longer for the discomfort to appear (5 minutes longer) but it came.
Have similar issues with the MacBook Pro Touchbar series (all 13" models as well).

I read all threads on the issue, tried many settings and always ended up with returning the devices and rolling back to iPhone8 and Macbook Pro 2014.

Apple screens used to be most comfortable, eye friendly screens on the market (been using Apple devices over 20 years) - since 2 years things have changed, at least for me and from what I read for others as well.
Ideas?
Thank you
It may not be the PWM but instead could be too bright or too much glare. Try applying a matte screen protector to see if it helps at all.

The XR screens definitely seem different to me but they have been tested to have no PWM at any brightness level. It could also be Face ID. Too many variables. If it doesn’t work for you just move on to a product that does work.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

eyepain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
The LCD screen in the Xr gives you the same discomfort?
took a little longer for the discomfort to appear (5 minutes longer) but it came.
[doublepost=1548433198][/doublepost]
The MBPro screen and XR are no different than previous models so it should not be a problem.

If you can not do an Apple device like the XR when has a typical Apple screen I do not know what to say except maybe your eye doctor missed something. For you to all of a sudden have trouble these last two years makes me feel like it could be a human issue and not Apple's.

1. The MBPro screen are different - using PWM for one, and much brighter (Apple introduced Dark Mode recently + Truetone...)
2. two doctors + with other none Apple HW such as Sony - no issue = it is the Hardware (other people have the issue as well)
[doublepost=1548433364][/doublepost]
It may not be the PWM but instead could be too bright or too much glare. Try applying a matte screen protector to see if it helps at all.

The XR screens definitely seem different to me but they have been tested to have no PWM at any brightness level. It could also be Face ID. Too many variables. If it doesn’t work for you just move on to a product that does work.

Thank you - tried a matte screen. On Xr turned the Face ID off + placed a sticker on the sensors - still had the issue :-(

Reactions: 5105973

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
1. The MBPro screen are different - using PWM for one, and much brighter (Apple introduced Dark Mode recently + Truetone...)
2. two doctors + with other none Apple HW such as Sony - no issue = it is the Hardware (other people have the issue as well)

I agree that a few are having issues, but only a few compared to ones who do not. It is just like some are getting a rash from wearing their Apple watch, there will always be exceptions.

Not much Apple can do except try to please the most users, they can't do it 100%.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Thank you - tried a matte screen. On Xr turned the Face ID off + placed a sticker on the sensors - still had the issue :-(
Sounds like me, I can’t seem to use the newer iPhones without similar symptoms as you, I have not tried the newer Macs though. I’ve moved on to the iPhone 8 and will likely hold onto this as long as I can. Hopefully screens improve so I can move back to flagship devices. But right now not many are available without PWM. Even the higher end Android IPS LCD screens have PWM now once you get to a certain brightness percentage.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
IPhone XR does not have PWM. Mac screens have no features in common with OLED iPhone screens.

Maybe it’s something in your head...

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
If that comment is meant to describe a possible neurological incompatibility, it would be a reasonable possibility, as this is something other sufferers are examining. We are likely dealing with a form of migraine, not an eye problem per se. Migraine conditions aren't just about headaches, but encompass a wide array of debilitating symptoms, some of which can resemble stroke and epilepsy.

If you're referring to a psychological issue well who are you to judge that. The OP seems lucid and reasonable. Medical science hasn't really kept up as well as it needs to with technology's effects on the human body, especially the nervous system. Even when researchers are onto some cutting edge information, it all takes awhile to trickle down to the actual practicing doctors who are on the front lines of treating patients with all of these new symptoms never seen before, because the technology is so new .

People who are lucky enough to enjoy most of science's bounties but not gracious enough to extend patience and tolerance to the less fortunate are courting a rough karma. Because consumer technology advances at an astonishing rate and it's only a matter of time before someone invents something that disagrees with your physiology.

What?

Hofstede

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
I get eye strain more easily on the OLED of iPhone X than the LED screen of all preceding models. I guess one of the possible cause is the higher maximum brightness of the OLED screeen. To mitigate the eye strain, I've installed a anti-blue light screen protector. Since then, myproblem on eye strain has improved.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Hello all,

Ideas?
Thank you

Try turning off the "Attention Aware Feature" under face id and passcode settings. i had slight sensitivity until i turned this off.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
IPhone XR does not have PWM. Mac screens have no features in common with OLED iPhone screens.

Maybe it’s something in your head...

Any electronic screen can cause eye discomfort. An LED Backlit screen can actually be worse than OLED for some! Many struggle with PWM flicker in OLED, but a research study actually claimed OLED is better for your eyes (if a person doesn't suffer with PWM sensitivity). A claim is that blue light is what triggers it and is linked to health issues (which is 1/3 less in OLED).

"Blue light is high energy visible light, widely acknowledged to bear harmful effects like discomfort to the eye and damage to the retina...".

https://www.oled-info.com/oleds-emit-less-third-blue-light-lcds

Enabling Night Mode has helped some on any of these devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.