eye-strain and color issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zerocustom1989, May 31, 2011.

1. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Got a new iMac, checked it in the store and exchanged it cause of the yellow screen. Since the guy said he would only do one exchange I just walked out with it and figured I could call applecare when I got home if it was also yellow too (it is, yippy-skippy -_-).

So I'm already sorta pissed about that....

1)
    I'm also having some pretty substantial eye-strain issues on day two using the machine. (I dont have these issues looking at screens for hours, but this one starts em after 30 minutes).

I'm working with lower brightness, no lights behind me and I even raised the font size in chrome to 120%, but it still doesnt help much.

2)
    I'm also having some color-issues. I opened up my iPhone and iPad app view layouts in Xcode and noticed that all of my artwork appeared very very dark compared to how they appear on the phone or on my 2007 matte MBP. Is there a way to change the brightness on this monitor? I'd like to continue to make artwork without worrying that my artwork isnt about to look horrendous when viewed on other screens.

any tips? I still need to call applecare about this machine, havnt yet.

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

3. Bear macrumors G3

Bring it back and if necessary ask to speak to the manager.

If that doesn't work, call AppleCare and tell them the problem and you want it replaced and that the store refused to help and why.

Ask to speak to supervisors as well. Keep going up the chain as necessary.

Anytime you get stalled tell them the next call is to your credit card company.

And if you have to, call the credit card company and tell them that Apple won't replace defective merchandise and you want to dispute the charge.

4. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol woa, slow down there guys, I walked out of the store cause if they guy said he would only do one exchange then I wasn't going to bother with the whole unboxing and setup mumbo jumbo just to argue with him. I figured I'd just call applecare which I havnt yet. I doubt I'll have an issue. My current issues now are making me think about returning it if they cant get fixed.

The one thing I like abou the machine is the speed and MAC OS, nothing else is appealing to me about it right now >.<.

5. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

oh man. Solved my problems (I think) with some color calibration.

I used the trial version of SuperCal. It alleviated the god-awful default contrast that even system preferences can't touch. I dont think it was the small font size or viewing distance, but the vibrancy of color was too much for me. My eyes still feel strained, but it's the end of the day and tomorrow will be the better test.

Color calibration also fixed my screen color accuracy issues, put my iphone up against the glass and it looked much better.

I've since taken chrome back to 100% to see how that'll work too.

I'll call about the yellow tomorrow for sure. It's less obnoxious cause I changed the contrast, but it's still there.

6. wangkom macrumors member

This is exactly why several years later we still have the problems with poor quality screens that have KNOWN issues. Too many people settle for the crap Apple is tossing us and so they figure that they will still make a ton of money if only a small % complain and have their screens replaced. I had that issue on my previous iMac and had them exchange it (twice) until I got an acceptable replacement. Now the only other issue is the dirt/dust that builds up in the actual lcd itself....sigh.

People please take your machines in while under warranty and make them replace it until you get a quality display panel!

7. stevenlcs macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Now the only other issue is the dirt/dust that builds up in the actual lcd itself....sigh

Does this happen to the Cinema Display? Anyone knows?

8. discofuel macrumors 6502

I was getting terrible eye strain with my 27" until i discovered a wonderful little program called Shades ;)

9. gregd33 macrumors member

I was in the same boat and, based on this post, tried the same app, SuperCal. After completing the 13 steps, it is like Night and Day. The difference is amazing and the eye strain and crappy color issues I was seeing are gone. The display is MUCH improved.

Thanks for the heads up about that utility!