Eye-strain while using iPhone X And iOS 12

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by scottasu, Jun 19, 2018.

1. scottasu, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

scottasu macrumors newbie

Curious if anybody out there, who previously experienced eye strain while using the iPhone X, has installed iOS 12 beta on the device and if that has led to a decrease in eye strain?

2. oddiecz macrumors member

3. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

The only eye strain I've experienced with my X on 11.4 was when I was laying in bed and dropped it on my face.

4. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

One time, I was using my X outside during the day and a flash of sun reflected off my screen and hurt my eyes for a few seconds.

Oh, I think that was 11.2, though.

5. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I’ve not noticed any eye strain but your mileage may vary. I have however noticed a dramatic decrease in brightness at times were it wasn’t warranted on iOS 12.

6. thewhitetower macrumors regular

thewhitetower

Been running iOS 12 since it came out and I have noticed a marked improvement in my eye strain

Previously it was so bad that I went back to an iPhone 8...

Now the discomfort is negligible and not as intense as before...and I actually think that the eye soreness is to do with my watching of the World Cup and the early hours!

7. chabig macrumors 601

It's the same screen, so what could be different?

8. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

9. chabig macrumors 601

Fair enough. I understand. But installing iOS 12 does not change the technology of the screen, which is basically what the OP was asking.

10. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

No OP was referring to a thread where people were talking about the X giving them eye strain or headaches. There was a theory that it was the way Apple was implementing PWM. PWM is driven by software so it’s possible to be modified. Similar to how flashing lights on your tv can give people seizures depending on the speed of the flashes. But if you just adjust that a little it doesn’t.

11. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

XDA (a popular android modding website) has figured out a way to make it more consistent using software. So it’s possible that Apple could implement something similar so I believe that is what the OP of this thread is referring to.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/development/amoled-pwm-s8-t3716663

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Im not running the beta yet but I can tell you that the X has screen flickering happening when it first released, then it was fixed. The newest iOS 11 release has brought it back. Screen flickers when unlocking, opening/closing an app, switching apps. No set pattern. It's not bad but it's rather annoying.