Eye strain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark.W, May 12, 2010.

1. Mark.W macrumors member

I've had my 13" MBP for a week and a half now, and have been enjoying most things about it. One thing I don't find enjoyable, however, is the increased level of eye strain compared to my old laptop (6 year old Fujitsu S-series). Any thoughts as to the source of this discomfort? Could it be caused by the glare coming from the glossy display?

I also read somewhere that Mac OS and Windows use different anti-aliasing methods and if your eyes are used to Windows, working on the Mac will be uncomfortable initially? If so, how long does it take for your eyes to adjust?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

More light or a higher resolution (or a stronger prescription?)

I get eye strain also but that's often due to lack of sleep.

And yes, windows and OS X do fonts very differently. I've worked in both environments for years and the crisp font rendering in windows is unbeatable. Obviously it's a matter of preference but.....

3. Mark.W thread starter macrumors member

I'm already at max brightness and resolution (and I don't require vision correction...)

Is there any way to emulate Windows-style font rendering on OS X?

4. glycon macrumors newbie

You can adjust "font smoothing" settings in System Preferences->Appearance.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

Perhaps it's too bright? I know I couldn't do max brightness.

6. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

It could be a number of things but since you said you are at max brightness it could be that. You need enough light so that your eyes don't struggle to see but too much light is like looking straight at a flashlight. Remember that a screen is basically that...light being shined directly at your eyes.

These new LED screens are very bright IMO and I had to turn them down to be comfortable. Also glossy reflections, glare, and reading small text can cause eyestrain so it could be a combination of things. Try eliminating all of those problems and see if your problem persists.