Eye Tracking Reality on iMac/Macbook/iPad (just an idea)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kdesign7, Oct 12, 2010.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

First off - I am aware that what Im about to post is totally far fetched, and may never see the light of day - but it would be nice. I'm hoping that I was able to get my vision across through these words. Sometimes I trip over what Im trying to say, and I dont get my point across.

Aside from that... here we go.

Eye tracking feature on iMac

Upgrade the existing iSight Camera to a newer, more powerful High Definition camera so that it can track eye movements in real time so that the Operating System can compute new user interactions. The camera sensor will be able to process 60 points of interest per second, giving the utmost precision and real time interaction.

For example

Sitting 2-5 feet away from the monitor, the Camera can track your eye movement, following your focus to what you’re interested in. For some presets, you can have the settings set for, your line of focus. If you were to be focusing your eyes on the upper left hand corner of the display,(say the File Menu in most applications) the peripheral vision around your focus would be blurred out slightly, or darkened slight. You could even have a preset where… wherever your MAIN focus is.. the portion of the screen is BUBBLED out, giving you a ZOOMING effect focus. Benefits of this would increase your direct attention to where your eyes are, dimming distractions.

*** All different presets could be set to accept inputs from other devices like a keyboard or trackpad, or mouse, but not necessary ***

This could also be used in many other applications such as – Augments Desktop Reality. What this does is… in combination with the Magic Track Pad. When your eyes are positioned on your desktop… place 4 fingers down on the track pad, then move your eyes to either sides of the screen (top or bottom as well) and watch the desktop shift… exposing other hidden faucets (areas) of the desktop. This could be useful for users who want to expand their desktop beyond the current viewing field. This would add more customizable abilities.

Another notion, which may sound more complicated than what I’m envisioning. With precise position of where your focus is… and augments circular outline (very dim, more like a ripple graphic that fades in and out of desired focus, precise down to milliseconds) would track your eye movement on the screen. When your eye lands on the y and x axis of the screen which you’ve desired… you simply blink and that constitutes as one left click. Since a blink is a fast movement, it will give the user a sense of computer intuition.

As there are hot corners on the MAC OS, having Eye Tracking would give the user “Hot Areas”. A user is viewing a lengthy website in Safari, and when the user reads the website and is close to the bottom of the document, and the focus is positioned on the “Bottom Hot Area”, the webpage begins to scroll smoothly, and slowly, according to the user’s eye movement. This would allow for a more hands free approach to scrolling. This feature could be implemented throughout many applications on the OS. A user is viewing a lengthy PDF file, and instead of using a TrackPad or Mouse to scroll down, or sideways... Glancing the eyes in that direction of the “Hot Area” will initiate some form of transition scrolling, in real time. If a user glances quickly on the opposite “Hot Area” the reverse scrolling will comply.

Eye tracking capabilities will open many doors for a newer and richer user experience which will require no physical interaction on the users’ behalf. The user will create an OS User defined profile that will consist of several Eye tracking motions techniques so that the OS will have an understanding of the Users focus/habits and movements. This profile will be constantly updated and modified like a dictionary of user habits. Over time, the system will learn how YOU interact with the system, and thus creating a user defined experience.

A HUGE feature that could be implanted with precision eye tracking is… an augmented 3d reality. What I mean by this is. The camera sensor will track your eyes… your distance from the screen, and your position in relation to the screen. If you move your head a few inches to the right or left, in real time, you will see the relative position of things move. If you move more to one side… you will almost get a sense of looking ‘around’ objects on their side. This would be headed with OS graphics in shading and lighting to get the user a feeling of 3d perspective.

These are only a few of the small idea’s that I think would be extremely beneficial and useful to a user through a High Definition camera that has the ability to track a users eyes in extreme real time and clarity.

2. johnmadden78 macrumors member

Interesting ideas. Nothing there seems completely far fetched to me. Obviously there are a few technical obstacles to overcome, but it doesn't seem like it's more than a year or two from being completely practical to do.

Have you seen this?

http://www.ted.com/talks/johnny_lee_demos_wii_remote_hacks.html

The last demo on the video is particularly likely to interest you.

3. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Maybe very usefull for multi screen setups.

I dont think its too far fetched.

A similar technology has been used for the autofocus in some SLR cameras in the past. My old EOS 55 has eye control to select one of 3 focus points.

4. hguan macrumors newbie

Eye tracking method has been there for more than 20 years but has no commercial use so far.
    Another use would be the "untouch" screen. Supermarket now has touch-screen for self checkout. future restaurants may have self ordering with screen. Since we use hands to eat, we may not like to use hands to touch. So we use eyes. Then we need to start with double blinks instead of single touch or single click.